Web browsing on the Oric?

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Web browsing on the Oric?

Post by Dbug »

Some time ago, some people where trying to port Contiki on the Oric, and I seem to remember the main issue was the lack of standard I/O in the C libraries.

Since then, there's been the 8bit hub, that has internet/wifi access, so I wonder how doable it would be to get this "filtered web" to run on the Oric:

The guy is able to access the pages on an Apple II, so technically, our hardware should be able to do the same :)
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Web browsing on the Oric?

Post by jbperin »

I remember that in the 90's, I started browsing the web with my amiga 1200.

The only web browser that I managed to get working was Lynx.

It is a very light weighted web browser but it is still very heavy for an Atmos.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

jbperin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:40 am I remember that in the 90's, I started browsing the web with my amiga 1200.

The only web browser that I managed to get working was Lynx.

It is a very light weighted web browser but it is still very heavy for an Atmos.
Sure, but if you pass through a proxy that does transform the input content, you can do even more transforms, and actually not use HTML at all
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

No clue about Contiki, but this is how I get webbrowsing working on my Texas Instruments TI-99/4a:

But that uses a Raspberry Pi for the network access, not sure how that compares to the 8 bit hub (which is Arduino based).

Works pretty cool though. Like the whole TIPI (Texas Instruments to raspberry PI) concept: gives flawless disk emulation from the RPi SD card, and also makes that SD card avaibale to the PC via SMB or webinterface (in other news: ported my Ludo game also to TI-99/4a using that TIPI for file operations).
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

I remember that in the 90's, I started browsing the web with my amiga 1200
Hello Jibe, was it your first computer ?
on my side, i started with my PC with Nordnet access, blocking my phone line
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I got Contiki booted on a real Atmos once, but got stymied by the lack of serial support .. however with the 8bit-unity hub and other efforts ongoing, it seems feasible to me that we could - at least - get serial I/o working on a build.

Trouble is, ContikiOS was once an old and dusty thing, then got a rewrite, then got a huge boost in the IoT era, and seems to have transmogrified into a bit of a beast. The 1.0 version is what was working on Atmos, but I'm having difficulty finding it .. although it may exist in archive.org somewhere. There was an Atmos build available, anyway ..

We could always wire up a CM3 or something, and have it serve as the Oric/Internet gateway. I often wonder if it would be feasible to browse an online picture gallery with a CM3 doing the "pictconv" filter directly to a TERM running on the Atmos that dumps straight to HIRES memory ..