ORIC NEXT

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Magoric
Officer Cadet

Re: ORIC NEXT

Post by Magoric »

The first goal, is to make a compatible 6502 emulated micro, and later, enhance it.

The first problems:

- To find a microcontroller fast enough and with sufficient I/O pins.
- The non official OP codes of the 6502 filled all the 255 possibilities, and if I want to make it 99'9% compatible, the extra new 8 bits codes will have to be part of the 16 bits version of the OP codes.
Magoric
Officer Cadet

Post by Magoric »

I am working in the new CPU. I'm going to use the microcontroller STM32F407VET6. It have 80 I/O pins and work's over 160 Mhz, more than what is necessary to make the prototype. It is on the way to my home.

This microcontroller work under C/C++ and the Arduino environment, so, meanwhile, I am programming the first version of CPU, ussing as base a replica of 6502 to try to substitute the Oric CPU using the replica over the STM32F407VET6 when I have it.

I am using GNU C/C++ GCC compiler over Linux, and by the moment I will use the basic oficial instruction set code to simulate the CPU process. Later I will put the rest of the instructions and the new instructions for the 16 bits version.

Thats all for now.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Magoric wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:28 pm... and work's over 160 Mhz, more than what is necessary...
It's clocked at 160 MHz, but this doesn't unnecessarily mean that all you want to do will run at this speed (especially the GPIO's). To avoid disappointments read careful all PDF's - just friendly advice ;).
Magoric
Officer Cadet

Post by Magoric »

It's clocked at 160 MHz, but this doesn't unnecessarily mean that all you want to do will run at this speed (especially the GPIO's). To avoid disappointments read careful all PDF's - just friendly advice ;).
You are right, but the first goal is to emulate the 6502 at 1Mhz. I think it will have margin.
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

Magoric wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:29 pm
ibisum wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:35 am Sounds like a great plan, Magoric.

You should check out the dflat project if you haven't already, it was built by 6502Nerd, who designed his own 6502-based computer and will, I believe, form the basis of his new machine - which itself may end up having a lot more in common with an "Oric Next" than we might think, given that dflat runs already. on Oric:

https://github.com/6502Nerd/dflat

Further details:

https://github.com/6502Nerd/dflat
Thank you for your aport.
Yes. This is the kind of language I had in mind. It's simple, clear and is "structered Basic". It have all I was looking for.

I have to talk with the author. But not now. Many things to do before that.
Hello, I missed the reference to dflat here but looks like an exciting project! When you are ready, I will be happy to provide help on getting dflat to work on your hardware. But not yet, I can see you will need some time to figure out the hardware side of things :-)
Magoric
Officer Cadet

Post by Magoric »

6502Nerd wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:13 pm Hello, I missed the reference to dflat here but looks like an exciting project! When you are ready, I will be happy to provide help on getting dflat to work on your hardware. But not yet, I can see you will need some time to figure out the hardware side of things :-)
Thank you for your offer and your interest!! Yes! I will contact with you when it has walked sufficient to say that the hardware be defined.

Thank you for your support.
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

Magoric wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:55 pm Thank you for your offer and your interest!! Yes! I will contact with you when it has walked sufficient to say that the hardware be defined.

Thank you for your support.
Great - no issue, whenever you're ready :-)
Magoric
Officer Cadet

Post by Magoric »

Hello.

By personal issues, i have the project waiting for time to attack it. My time right now is full, but I think in summer time will be on hands over again.