8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: 8bit-Unity version 0.3.5

Post by Dbug »

@ibisum: If you plan on helping 8bit-Dude with the hub firmware, I think a lot of people would be happy if you could managed to make it work with a larger selection of ps/2 mice, like the ones with mouse wheels for example, because right now it's kind of hit and miss :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Alas, my PS/2 mouse works. Happy to try other mice if and when I get one that doesn't work.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Can you give the exact model of yours?

Maybe we should make a list of what works or not, mine does not:
- Logitech M-S69 851841-1000 (two buttons + wheel)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Mine is a no-name (I think it might be Gericom) simple 2-button PS/2 mouse from the 90's that I've had for this purpose for years .. Its a real ps/2, I'm not using a USB/PS2 adapter, for example ..
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

These mice did not work for me:
https://www.amazon.nl/gp/product/B000TA ... UTF8&psc=1
Brand new PS/2 mouse. No adapter. Does not do anything, does not even get power.

Logitech B100 USB mouse with wheel with PS/2 adapter. Does not do anything either, no power.

Old Microsoft USB mouse with wheel I found in an old box, probably early 200x (see picture for model) with PS/2 adapter. Does get power, does not work. Is the only one I found that does work on my Commodore 128 with Ps/2 to 1351 adapter.
99621F44-3C4F-480E-BFDD-B0DC83FEC4E1.jpeg
So the picture is starting to be: get hold of a 90’s PS/2 mouse without wheel.....
Anybody suggestions where to buy a good one? Probably only at eBay or the likes? Looks like finding a working mouse is harder than finding an Oric 😉 hopefully not as costly.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

The solution should be to update the PS2 code to a more "general" version supporting more recent protocols.

https://github.com/8bit-Dude/8bit-Hub/b ... 2mouse.cpp
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I've never used an arduino, is it possible to somewhat connect the hub to a PC or a terminal, to output debug logs?
Does the implementation supports hot-plug of the mouse, or does that only happen at boot time?

I see that in addition to "ps2mouse.cpp" and "ps2mouse.h" you have "PS2Mouse.cppalt" and "PS2Mouse.halt", what are these files?

I'm asking because it looks like the "alt" files do support things like intellimouse extensions, and they do bit polling/checking as well.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

The ALT version does look more advanced! But it needs porting to the ESP (wifi module).
The PS2 mouse is polled by the ESP (wifi module), so that the MEGA is always ready to answer interrupts from the Oric.
Hot-plugging should be possible, just needs to reset the COM.

P.S: I gave intruction above to setup programming of the MEGA (Arduino Part). There are a bunch of commented out DEGUG_XXXX at the top of the file. Those can be uncommented to debug various aspects of the code through serial monitor to PC.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Really give up finding a working mouse now. Found a really old Logitech PS/2 mouse with ball, no laser, no wheel. A three button one.
Also not working. No clue if it gets power as it has not a laser obviously that I can see, but it does not give movement data to the hub.

Mouse works fine, as also this one works fine on my Commodore 128 with the PS/2 to 1351 adapter.

So stop looking for working mice now until the firmware is adapted to accept a much wider range of PS/2 mice.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Looking at the code, I remember reducing the delay between pins going high/low until reaching a very low delay of 10 micro-seconds.
I think this value might be too specific to the mouse I use for testing... it is in fact very far from the default value of 300 micro-second.

I will try to return the values to their default setting, and check that it does not interfere with correct function of the Wifi communication.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Not sure how complicated is your UI, maybe you could add a page to tweak the delay, so we can check with your various mice and tell you which values work/stop working for the various models we have?
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I've been doing some code-reading the last few days, and getting things set up to make some contributions to 8-bit OS .. one question though, 8bit-Dude: how do you integrate the repo into your releases? I don't see the OSDK build files in the repo ..

Code: Select all

╭─ibi at w1x1 in ~/Documents/Development/retro/oric/8bit_Hub/8bit-Unity on master✔
╰─± find . -name "*.bat"                        
╭─ibi at w1x1 in ~/Documents/Development/retro/oric/8bit_Hub/8bit-Unity on master✔
╰─± find ~/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity -name "*.bat"
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/_builder_.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/_trackers_.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/_gimp_.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/_piskel_.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/piskel/cmd.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/py27/install.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/py27/Lib/idlelib/idle.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/gimp/App/gimp/lib/python2.7/idlelib/idle.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/gimp/App/gimp/lib/python2.7/ctypes/macholib/fetch_macholib.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/trackers/DefleMask-0.12.1/cmd.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/trackers/ArkosTracker-2.0.0/players/playerAky/sources/68000/build.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/trackers/Chipper-1.7.6/cmd.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/utils/java/Other/Source/UnpackPostInstall.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/projects/slicks/navigation/_txt2nav_.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/projects/demos/[python]/udp-client.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/projects/demos/[python]/udp-server.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/projects/demos/[python]/tcp-client.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/projects/demos/[python]/tcp-server.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/demos-oric.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/grubs-lynx.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/demos-c64.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/slicks-lynx.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/demos-atari.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/slicks-c64.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/grubs-c64.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/os-oric.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/grubs-apple.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/os-apple.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/goblin-lynx.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/slicks-atari.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/os-atari.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/grubs-atari.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/goblin-c64.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/grubs-oric.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/demos-apple.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/demos-lynx.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/slicks-apple.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/os-lynx.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/goblin-atari.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/os-c64.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/goblin-oric.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/slicks-oric.bat
/home/ibi/.wine/drive_c/8bit-Unity/build/goblin-apple.bat
Do you have the build/ folder in another repo somewhere, maybe?

Just trying to ensure I don't introduce a workflow that doesn't jive with your existing practice. Also, might I contribute some Github actions to do the full builds at this point?
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

Dbug wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:16 am Not sure how complicated is your UI, maybe you could add a page to tweak the delay, so we can check with your various mice and tell you which values work/stop working for the various models we have?
I prefer to not "over" complicate things. I will post an update that uses the default 300 micro-seconds, which I think should be fine.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

ibisum wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:26 am I've been doing some code-reading the last few days, and getting things set up to make some contributions to 8-bit OS .. one question though, 8bit-Dude: how do you integrate the repo into your releases? I don't see the OSDK build files in the repo ..

Do you have the build/ folder in another repo somewhere, maybe?

Just trying to ensure I don't introduce a workflow that doesn't jive with your existing practice. Also, might I contribute some Github actions to do the full builds at this point?
Making some contribs to 8bit-OS will be really cool!

Here are few important points:

(1) 8bit-Unity does not use OSDK (which is specific to the Oric). I use CC65 which can port to various targets.

(2) I am going to commit today the entire "utils" folder (except apps like GIMP), so that the tool-chain for assets and building is always up-to-date.

(3) I will also commit the asset files of each project.

(4) Please note that 8bit-OS currently loads all apps into memory at launch. I need to use the "driver" loading system of CC65 for loading/unloading apps from memory. For now, just comment out other apps if you run-out of memory.

(5) In case your apps only work on ORIC, please use #pragmas to define your code specifically for that target.
8bit-Dude
Flying Officer

Post by 8bit-Dude »

xahmol wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:14 pm So the picture is starting to be: get hold of a 90’s PS/2 mouse without wheel.....
Xander, I have pushed Firmware 0.4, that should make the HUB compatible with every mouse you tested before (except perhaps the one that did not power on).

This new version recognizes modern mouse with wheel, and will show Up/Down motion in the "Run Test" menu. I have also added a "Mouse Config" page, where you can select the mouse speed (slow, med., fast) and refresh rate (5, 10, 20 FPS).

Let me know if that works for you!