Transferring games on tape

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
protek
Pilot Officer

Transferring games on tape

Post by protek »

Since I haven’t got any SD based storage devices for my Oric, I decided to utilize my Sony recorder and made the cable to connect the two. I’ve used Tap2wav to convert a .tap file to .wav format and managed to load a game successfully playing it on Audacity on my Win10 PC. I tried to record the same wav on tape. Oric finds the file but always gives ’Errors found’. I’ve converted the file using -a and -11 parameters. That file loads successfully from Audacity, but not from tape. I’ve tried numerous volume settings on my PC when recording with no luck. My Sony TCM-939 doesn’t have any VU meter or rec level setting, only volume.

While I agree, it would be simpler to just play the files back from the PC directly, there is a nostalgic factor in using real tapes. I don’t remember loading games on the Commodore 1530 to have been this difficult back in the day. Were the generic cassette recorders really that much fiddlier to use?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: Transferring games on tape

Post by Steve M »

Have you checked the tape head alignment?

Many cassette players will need the bands changing after all these years.

I've not recorded tapes in this way, but check the tape works with a Basic program loaded into the Oric and then saved back to tape.
Check the volume level is good for recording.

I think Tap files aren't as accurate as a Wav file so if you get the Wav from a Tap it isn't going to be 100% accurate.

Also, if you're getting the errors found, have you used the * program?
protek
Pilot Officer

Post by protek »

I haven’t checked the head alignment. Aligning the head isn’t the easiest as it cannot be done whilst the tape is playing. I don’t think the belts are worn as the TCM-939 is from the early 2000s and it does load an Amstrad CPC program.

I’ll try to see if there’s any way of adjusting the azimuth.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I
If the sound files are recorded with this tape recorder, to reread them it is not necessary to adjust the head azimut, there is a problem of fouling the reading head, various speed, or a bad setting of the equalizer (bass or tweeter).
For a best control, just save a HIRES screen with a lot of details, and CLOAD it while changing the tape recorder settings settings, you can see what is wrong.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Azimuth is the tape head alignment.
You can set it whilst playing a tape. The only problem is if the tape player doesn't have a suitable hole to allow access. You can often open the door and stick the tape in underneath and have just enough room to get at the adjusting screw. It's best done whilst playing a tape so you can hear the effect.
To be honest, I have drilled a hole in more than one. It's often required (adjusting the tape head alignment) on Oric tapes i.e. one setting won't work for everything like on other computers.