missing titles

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
coolman66
Flying Officer

missing titles

Post by coolman66 »

Are the titles of all the Oric software published still subject to copyright ? and is that the reason that some programs never see the light of day . I love to look at anything new just to see what might have been available in my local computor shop but know matter how i search no luck exept when a new one is put on sites like this for which im very grateful ?
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: missing titles

Post by Dbug »

It's more like a case of not enough time by people to capture/convert properly all the titles, plus the fact that some never made it into the hands of people doing conversions.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Technically speaking, Oric titles are covered by copyright. I think it lasts 70 years now - after the death of the author.
A lot of authors have given permission for titles to be available now online. Other authors weren't named so it's impossible to contact them and some can't be traced due to them moving house etc.
In practice Oric is not a going concern and of no commercial value so copying software results in no loss for the author/ publisher.

Titles only get online by the hard work of people converting programs to some form that is usable by an emulator and then one or two people upload the files to places like Oric.org, before the ROM sites get their grubby hands on the files and upload them with the wrong details.

Oric has a small user base so the number of people grafting away to help you all out with these freebies is just a handful of devoted individuals who have day jobs and other interests. So it takes a lot of time to get anything available.

Rarer titles can involve the handful of devoted enthusiasts having to compete on Ebay or similar sites paying large sums of money so that the software can be preserved and offered to the world - for free.

Even after 30 years or so working on the Oric and collecting software there are few, if anyone that has got anywhere near a complete collection. The titles for Oric were not available in large numbers and the story I've heard over and over again is that of a lone Oric user that didn't know anyone else that had an Oric. Shops didn't stock many Oric games. Some may have only ever been available mail-order and some people have never seen some of these rarer titles. So how can we get them online, if we've never seen them ?

Which titles are you looking for?
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Dear all,

Oric.org software list isn't available.
As it's something missing on our oric knowledge, i'll try it to compile one within a couple of weeks (i'll travelling soon without time to do it)

I've tried quickly to edit a list (using book list from Steve). Please send me some feedback and proposals on what we wanted to get on the list

http://ceo.oric.org/oric-books-catalog/

Didier
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I think you meant to reply to the other thread?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2065
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Oops
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

Steve M asks what titles I would like to see , I have a couple of Football manager type games , Tennis ,Bowling , Wrestling , Archery ,etc but no Cricket , I have seen on of the same name by I think Alister Way published by Mirage Software but have not been able to find it anywhere , any clues to help me out ?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

There are various football management games. Football Manager, The Boss, European Cup, Soccer Manager, League Soccer, League Champions.
Most of these are available. A couple of them are on the Rhetoric disks.
Alistair Way did an animated football game.

Oddly I can't find a French football game. You'd think they would have a go as they tended to be better programmers and they've won more world cups than us.

There's also Classic Racing, a management horse racing game.
Archery is available in Triathlon
Tennis is available in Roland Garros
Wrestling management is in Wrestling Promoter
Skiing in the form of Oric Parchen Kirchen

There's a French sailing game - I think it's called Transat One (?)
We've released Golf recently, though it was never a properly finished game

I guess Cricket is another I'll have to convert. I have the tape somewhere. Alistair also did Grand Prix.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Pretty sure Cricket was Alistair's first release under Mirage. If memory serves, it was graphically basic but my brother was quite addicted to the game.