Oric Next ..

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Oric Next ..

Post by ibisum »

I see the Spectrum Next is shipping, and I'm a bit green about it to be honest - so I figured I'd ask if anyone here is planning to do a Kickstarter for "Oric Next", and if so .. can we please get on with it .. ;)
Bodhi
Officer Cadet

Re: Oric Next ..

Post by Bodhi »

I would definetly be there in any case. :D
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Not sure there are enough people to fund such a development .. But that would be really cool.

Someone has just posted about an ORIC core made with FPGA .. that might be a good start :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

jbperin wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:23 pm Not sure there are enough people to fund such a development .. But that would be really cool.

Someone has just posted about an ORIC core made with FPGA .. that might be a good start :D
The MiSTer Oric core has been usable for quite a while now.

Maybe all is needed is to basically get a case with a mechanical keyboard, and a bunch of connectors to connect a MiSTer or whatever else required to emulate the Oric.

One note about the Spectrum Next: It is compatible with a number of legacy hardware like cartridges and microdrives, that my itself makes it usable as a decent Spectrum replacement.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

I would only be interested in a FPGA replacement that a) fits in an original case and b) can run all the original hardware.

So for me a pass on the Spectrum Next. Am actually more interested in the N-Go, which is a Next clone that does fit in an original case. Pity it is the rubber key one, would already have bought one if it would fit in a Toastrack case.

Therefore also a pass on the Mega65, but avid fan of the Ultimate64 I own.
Bodhi
Officer Cadet

Post by Bodhi »

I found this one while traveling trough the internet:http://passionoric.free.fr/fr/junior/hjrspec.htm

I don't know if this guy still works on this project but it shows that there are people thinking about "revitalisation". :wink:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

This is a topic we're discussing from time to time.
A new machine won't be easy to design if you want to meet the requirements of all (or most) Oric users. Some will want "the same machine but easier to use/plug/power". Some will want to carry on using their extensions, which are many (drives, optical pen, speech synth, joysticks, loading their old tapes, ...)
Some will ask for a more comfortable programming machine: new video modes, more RAM, faster CPU... But backwards compatible. With ROM 1.0 or ROM 1.1. With Atmos keyboard or Oric-1... (to play Zorgons Revenge :p ). And Telesrat?
My point is that the list might be endless.

Looking back at the most serious attempts, the Super Oric (based on a SNES) was made as a new machine, and despite actually working with better specs and having support of famous Oricians (André, Thierry, Fabrice), very few people used it - less than ten, if not less than 6.
Now there's Orix, another attempt at upgrading our systems, but in another spirit: plugging on the original machines.

If I'm not mistaken, I would say that the most successful hardware made so far for our machines is the Erebus: available to non-eletronicians/soldering people, and making life easier on certain things. Sold more than 300 times on ebay IIRC. That could be an indicator on what most people are expecting.
rampa
1st Star Corporal

Post by rampa »

xahmol wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:37 pm I would only be interested in a FPGA replacement that a) fits in an original case and b) can run all the original hardware.

So for me a pass on the Spectrum Next. Am actually more interested in the N-Go, which is a Next clone that does fit in an original case. Pity it is the rubber key one, would already have bought one if it would fit in a Toastrack case.

Therefore also a pass on the Mega65, but avid fan of the Ultimate64 I own.
The same oric core than in mister is also on next/n-go (not using the integrated keyboard nor hdmi. only ps2 and VGA) but i think nobody used this one :-)

About peripherals... You need a FPGA with a lot of spare i/o pin. I have the oric core running on a development board with printer support and a real microdisc running. But this is not a dedicated pcb and will be hard to fit inside a real case.

Oric is also running on zx1 hardware. you can use on this one https://www.antoniovillena.es/store/product/plus-uno/ and there was also zxuno boards prepared to fit on real cases. But this one is a real small fpga (only 9kle)

Sidi and mist are a beter/cheaper option (but no externalk slots)

I wrote jede two weeks ago. I am insterested his twilighte board. I think it is the best upgrade i have seen. and may be it can be connected to an fpga and cased in a good kbd....
Bodhi
Officer Cadet

Post by Bodhi »

I wrote jede two weeks ago. I am insterested his twilighte board. I think it is the best upgrade i have seen. and may be it can be connected to an fpga and cased in a good kbd....
That sounds interesting.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Bodhi wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:48 pm
That sounds interesting.
Well, I have a Twilighte board, but last I used it it was too unstable and too alpha for serious use. But honestly, that is more than a year ago, and a lot has been developed since. But lack time to investigate again so far.