Oriclopedia: A series of videos on all things Oric

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Re: Oriclopedia: A series of videos on all things Oric

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Dbug wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:56 pmSince there's recently been a large number of people being confused about Erebus, Cumulus, Cumana, etc... I made a video about it.
Hopefully I got my facts right, but if there are incorrect things, please mentioned them and I will put some addendum in the description.
Thanks!
As one of the confused, I thank you for taking the time to do this, very helpful.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Great video - might've also been of use to discuss TapOric?

viewtopic.php?t=1758
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:01 am Great video - might've also been of use to discuss TapOric?

viewtopic.php?t=1758
JiBé already requested something on the subject, but for the same reason I only mentioned the tape drive without actually showing how to load (or fail trying), I believe the topic of loading using the analog method deserves a video on its own, because there are so many things that can go wrong when you use the actual tape input :)

Obviously this topic should cover at the very least:
- Why there are tapes using SLOW mode and FAST mode
- Volume, Azimut, mono and stereo
- What the remote cable is for
- Fast loaders (Tap2CD, TapOric)
- What can damage the transfer (bass booster, mp3 compression, automatic gain control, automatic fades at the start and end)
damn, I guess that's another 40+ minutes video!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:45 am Now I'm going to bother you with scans/overview pics/WAV file of Canada ;)
Before doing that, you should check oric.org :p
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm
Symoon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:45 am Now I'm going to bother you with scans/overview pics/WAV file of Canada ;)
Ha ha, that's cool, thanks ;)
Are both tape sides the same? :p

BTW the game is there, strangely as a DSK file. So if you ever make a WAV and want a TAP out of it, you know where to find me ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:24 pm
Dbug wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm
Ha ha, that's cool, thanks ;)
Are both tape sides the same? :p

BTW the game is there, strangely as a DSK file. So if you ever make a WAV and want a TAP out of it, you know where to find me ;)
Actually yes, both side are identical, no mention of slow or fast, oric 1 or atmos.
Same sticker.
Regarding the WAV, I need to find a tape drive that can load it properly first, last time I sent you something it did not work.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

After much pain and suffering, we finally have a new Oriclopedia video, about the main component of the Oric computers, the ULA HCS10017.

The editing is a bit borked, I tried my best, but there was simply too much things to cover, the original material was about 70 minutes long, found out some errors during the editing so I added some texts.

Hopefully it's not too boring or confusing, it's a hard topic for sure!
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

If we had to explain the whole operation of the ULA (hidden RAM access) it would have been too long and too technical, but for the graphic possibilities of the chip, we understand well and it is not too long. Good job! :wink:
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Great video! Lots of detailed technical information.

But I don't think I would have made it through without subtitles, which are often hilarious, but very necessary. It is *quite* difficult to understand your English at times, alas. I mean that in a positive encouragement way- its the only thing I would change about your productions.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:03 pm Great video! Lots of detailed technical information.

But I don't think I would have made it through without subtitles, which are often hilarious, but very necessary. It is *quite* difficult to understand your English at times, alas. I mean that in a positive encouragement way- its the only thing I would change about your productions.
I was extremely tired when I made this video, I had to cut entire sections of comments, but it was already the second take, and was not feeling like doing it again, but yeah, I totally get it.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Thanks, Dbug!
For my very personal taste and interest this is the best Oriclopedia episode (so far ;))!
And that being said, It would be great if you can make an enlightenment video about the mentioned in this episode Minitel / Prestel service. I know it's more Telestrat specific but I'm sure that we can run such demo service nowadays to be used with (for instance) Oricutron + modem emulation.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:09 pm Thanks, Dbug!
For my very personal taste and interest this is the best Oriclopedia episode (so far ;))!
And that being said, It would be great if you can make an enlightenment video about the mentioned in this episode Minitel / Prestel service. I know it's more Telestrat specific but I'm sure that we can run such demo service nowadays to be used with (for instance) Oricutron + modem emulation.
It's also possible with a normal Oric with the right equipment (like "Loritel").
I wonder if I could find a Minitel in good condition and get it sent to Norway without it being destroyed (it's a CRT screen after all).
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

kenneth wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 pm If we had to explain the whole operation of the ULA (hidden RAM access) it would have been too long and too technical, but for the graphic possibilities of the chip, we understand well and it is not too long. Good job! :wink:
For a YouTube video, yes it would be very difficult to cover the whole operation of the internals, including all the quirks and limitations caused by the hardware design. There's no getting around the fact that it *is* long and technical :)

But I'm glad for this more detailed look at the real-world usage side of things, especially the nice zoomed in and explained views of AIC and similar tricks. Although I grasp the idea behind this outside-the-box thinking for using the ULA -- in ways that were probably not originally planned -- it's good to see them in close up like that!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I guess the next video will go back to some easier to digest topic, like presenting some games :D

Need to balance things, like a good diet, mix and match things else you get digesting problems!

iss: After discussing on Facebook, my brother told me that my dad still had a Minitel, apparently in working order and with the thermal printer that came with it (used to make hard copies of videotext screens, like white pages or train tickers orders), so that may happen, just need to make sure we can send that by post without damaging the CRT screen :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Took some time, but here is a new Oriclopedia video about the first generation of Text Adventure games on the Oric: Salamander Software, Level 9, Melbourne House, Tevrog and Gilsoft.

I tried to make the topic not too boring, but by definition text adventure is not super visual :D