Oriclopedia: A series of videos on all things Oric

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
Chema
Game master

Re: Oriclopedia: A series of videos on all things Oric

Post by Chema »

Did you know that a Salamander Software game called "The Cricklewood Incident" (the name appears for a second in your video) for the c64 was ported to the Spectrum as "The Streets of London" and to the Oric as Tandoft's "Kilburn Encounter"?

The Oric version prints " you have been playing 'The Cricklewood Incident' " when you finish it.

Very nice video. You have a great collection!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Chema wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:02 pm Did you know that a Salamander Software game called "The Cricklewood Incident" (the name appears for a second in your video) for the c64 was ported to the Spectrum as "The Streets of London" and to the Oric as Tandoft's "Kilburn Encounter"?

The Oric version prints " you have been playing 'The Cricklewood Incident' " when you finish it.
Oh interesting, I did not know that, yeah that's the add with the woman and the soldier arguing over something :)

Regarding the collection, I'm trying to share with the rest of people, because some of these are quite hard to find, I had planned this video for more than a year already, was still hopping to find Fishy Business, but did not happen, so I made the video anyway :D
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Thanks Dbug for this very nice and interresting video:)
And what a great collection !
I've seen that you have got a map of the level 9 game " Colossal adventure"
Is there a way, you could scan this map and share it ?
The CASA site gives hints and solution of this game but no map.
I am curently trying to update CASA site (Classic Adventure Solution Archive) with solutions and maps of the games which, in a near future, will disapeare from and with the oric.forumactif.org. Maybe, I could add this map to CASA, after restauration.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Dom wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:08 am I've seen that you have got a map of the level 9 game " Colossal adventure"
Is there a way, you could scan this map and share it ?
There you go: It's raw out of scanner, no modifications other than merging the two halves:
http://defence-force.org/download/oric/ ... re_map.png

Hopefully it's for the right game :)
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Thanks a lot for your quick answer...
Dbug wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 pm Hopefully it's for the right game :)
:lol: Unfortunately not.... It seems to be the map of "The Quest" a Tansoft adventure game Also known as "Le trésor du pirate" in French.
Maybe we will be more lucky another time :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Just for the record... I think I was not quite correct in my post about The Cricklewood Incident (yeah, memory, age, y'a know). It seems that the there also was a version for Dragon 32.

It is not clear when it was renamed as The Streets of London, but there were versions for C64 and Spectrum with that name:

And the Spectrum version is Missing in Action!

It is basically the same game, with minor changes, it seems. Not sure if Tansoft got the rights for The Kilburn Encounter or what. It seems that all those versions were adaptations of a previous game called Pythonesque, developed for the Commodore PET.

The C64 and PET versions seem to have been published by a company called Supersoft. I think that, in all the versions, the authors were correctly credited: Allen Webb, Grant Privett, Martin Jones. The last one seems to appear only in some versions (such as in the Oric's).

I found that game quite entertaining and hilarious, once you got its sense of humour. I remember you could crack into the Basic listing by 0 END and CLOAD"",J then removing the DOKE #1B,DEEK(#FFFC). I also found a way to break in, save the game (the Atmos can save arrays, but not the 1, so a proper SAVE command was not in the game, thought it existed in other versions), and hack a bit so it became easier to finish. Many events are random (for instance where you appear after you get off the bus) and make it quite difficult to solve in a single session.

A friend of mine and I made a Spanish version for the Spectrum with graphics using PAWS and translating as we could that days of no Internet. We missed most of the jokes, and many other details we didn't know about at that time. Only later we stumbled upon The Monty Python and The Holy Grail and understood some of them :lol:

I remember well the Knights who say Ni (I think in the game it said NYYYY or something such as that). We translated that for "Los Guerreros que dicen GRRRRRERO", because we thought Ni should be pronounced similar to Knight (bit without the 't' sound at the end) and GRRRR represents the sound of someone being really angry.

Also we were not aware what Fosters was... until we say the beer somewhere. We also did not know that Quality Street was a brand of (really quite good!) toffees.

Ah memories... sorry for the long post.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

No problem with the long posts when they are interesting and on topic :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

As usual, another well done video.

Would love to see a series of Oric-only development tools next... In case you're taking requests...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:16 pm As usual, another well done video.

Would love to see a series of Oric-only development tools next... In case you're taking requests...
Like native assemblers, disassemblers, basic compiler, forth, etc...?

I thought about that, the challenge is that I never actually used any of these, so that would be quite of a steep learning curve for me as well :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yeah I'm thinking "what would I use onboard an Atmos with disk system if I didn't have OSDK/cross-compiling, so .. editor, assembly, disassembler, monitor, access to on-disk references and docs, essential utilities, etc..."
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The disk system adds another layer of complexity: Many of these programs are available on tape, not sure there are already made DSK with sets of tools that can be used to do complete assembly code programs directly on the Oric.

If anyone can point to some already made DSK with dev tools, please tell :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Finally managed to get some time for a new Oriclopedia episode.

Today I covered Hebdogiciel magazine, including the "software download kit".

kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Very well done, as usual, the Oric kit for the Minitel is incredible, I didn't know it. Thanks for the inquiry!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I actually had this kit for quite a while, but I did not have the Hebdogiciel magazines or the Minitel, all that was at my parent's place and only got it back recently :)
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Ha, great to see! Minitel never was very big in the Netherlands, and we certainly did not have it at home.
In my youth I mainly bought the UK and German magazines, which were very Spectrum and Commodore focussed with hardly ever any Oric listing. Spend a fortune on Happy Computer and 64'er magazine. Would have been nice to have had this back then (but not sure this was ever sold in the Netherlands).

What was quite big in the Netherlands was Basicode https://www.hobbyscoop.nl/the-history-of-basicode/
This was an attempt to unify all BASIC dialects and be able to broadcast listings over radio for all 8 bits computers at the time. Also Oric Atmos was supported. Programs where aired in a weekly radio show which you had to record and play back to your PC.
But of course as it had to cope with all the different machines, things like hires, graphics and such were not or only very limited supported.