Cumulus Issues

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
jorodr
Flying Officer

Re: Cumulus Issues

Post by jorodr »

Sorry Chema,
my oscilloscope is rather old and could not make snapshot. Maybe I must try to do this with camera.. I'll thing.
Because I don't know where to look. Is there any control point on the pcb to look with oscilloscope?
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I've been reading through the first few pages of this before I test my Cumulus. I'm a bit confused and think there is a real need for a set-up guide.
There is nothing in the instructions sent to say I needed a different power supply.

There was some mention of different software early on in the thread and I'm not sure what if anything is required on the card, (apart from disk images).

Writing to the card isn't easy for me. My camera doesn't allow it and the printer slot doesn't seem to do anything. I've had to find an audio recorder. I guess some computers have the right slots but mine doesn't so it makes writing to a card a bit tricky. I wasn't sure if the Cumulus could be connected to the PC but it doesn't appear to have any slots.

As you can see I'm not to good at working these things so a bit of an 'Idiots Guide' would be really useful.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I'm using a generic 2 euros USB adapter:
- plug it in any USB slot on the pc
- put the sd card in it
- read and write files

I've been using that for years, it's much faster than using the camera software, and it works on most machines without even installing drivers :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:I'm using a generic 2 euros USB adapter:
- put the sd card in it
- read and write files

I've been using that for years, it's much faster than using the camera software, and it works on most machines without even installing drivers :)
Beware though with Windows XP SP3: it crashes SDHC cards when using an external USB SD Card reader. Lost some photos this way.
The solution then is to reinstall XP SP2 drivers, or use an internal reader.

Problem seems to exist only with XP SP3 combined with SDHC.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon: Good to know, that being said XP is being deprecated this month :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Symoon wrote:
- put the sd card in it
- read and write files

Beware though with Windows XP SP3: it crashes SDHC cards when using an external USB SD Card reader. Lost some photos this way.
The solution then is to reinstall XP SP2 drivers, or use an internal reader.

Problem seems to exist only with XP SP3 combined with SDHC.
I never saw this O_o
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

- put the sd card in it
- read and write files

Thanks. My partner Ally has a USB card reader I can use - I never knew she had one. I don't think she has used it as we bought a card reader as part of the PC she got.

I'm on Win7 64bit which works most of the time but seems to clash with some software. (I can't get Adobe Flash working at the moment - real pain!)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I've got a 1.5amp power supply. Is that going to be OK or is it over-cooking it?

I'm worried that the Atmos might not like a heavy load.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

it'll be fine, the oric will draw as much current as it needs.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Whatever the device, you could put a 2TA that it will not matter, what is really important is to have the correct voltage, the correct polarisation, and enougth Amp for the device, i.e. if the device want a 500mA input , you need at least a power supply capable of delivring 500mA. A bit more is generaly needed, especially on cheap power supply.

With high rated amp supply, you will only have a problem if there is a short circuit. The more the supply is able to provide, the more the short circuit will be worse. But this should never happen ^^
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Thats correct, but with one caveat, high rated power supplies can have problems maintaining the advertised voltage if they are under-loaded, but I don't think it really applies here :-)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I am using a ZX Spectrum + 1.5 A PSU (with the polarity reversed) and it works perfectly with Oric+Cumulus. And it also has a switch to turn it on and off, which is a bless.

I also read somewhere that you could use a 7.5Volt PSU, better than a 9V, which will make the Oric's regulator dissipate less heat. That is surely good for the machine.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Chema wrote:I am using a ZX Spectrum + 1.5 A PSU (with the polarity reversed) and it works perfectly with Oric+Cumulus.
Good to know, as that's what I planned to use once I get an adapter to reverse the polarity (don't want to cut the cable so I can still use it vwith my Speccy).
Marq
Private

Post by Marq »

Tested my two Cumuluses today and finally got them working. All the problems were, in the end, related to incompatible SDHCs. Managed to find a working one eventually :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

does that mean an oric demo from fit is on the way? :wink: