Oric tapes not in TOSEC

In this forum you can write about anything that does not fit in other forums.
This includes generic Oric talkings and things that are totaly unrelated but want to share with people here :)
nivrig
Private

Oric tapes not in TOSEC

Post by nivrig »

I accquired a few random Oric tapes recently and there are two I can't find in TOSEC. I'm not aware of any other Oric software archives, so apologies if they exist elsewhere. They don't strike me as the type to be rare, but I thought I should check in case they are worth trying to dump:

For completeness, the others are:

There's another tape with what looks like a couple of homebrew BASIC games on it. I'll try to get that dumped.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Oric tapes not in TOSEC

Post by Dbug »

Most games are in oric.org
https://www.oric.org/software/attack_of ... n-986.html

The few attempts at doing proper "software archives" were discouraged because people like me apparently were doing offensive requests such as "please keep the documentation, manual, nfo, etc..." with the games :)

And yes, all these are quite common, the "Oric Software" is basically what was available when the Oric 1 launched.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I am not sure how or who is maintaining the TOSEC, but it is a complete mess. Duplicated programs with wrong extensions (dsk for taps and viceversa), games patched to work with some kind of joystick (not indicated) or hardware, which do not work without it, no indication of disk controller type expected, etc, etc.

And, what is worse, games that come without instructions, additional material and with no credit to the original authors at all!

Some entries are not even Oric software, but PC tools!

Code: Select all

3848  2013-03-04 09:49   Tangerine Oric-1 & Atmos [TOSEC]/Tangerine Oric-1 & Oric Atmos - Various - [TAP] (TOSEC-v2009-10-25_CM)/ZZZ-UNK-raw2mfm.zip
And some I am not sure they are not rom dumps from Telestrat cartridges.

As a result many people download the TOSEC just to find out most of it is useless for their machines, fpga systems or even emulators. The real oric game database is in oric.org, but I am not sure if something can be done to clean/remove/warn about the problems with this TOSEC collection.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Another option (but only for off-line usage) is Oric Gamebase which is still available for download. It has lot of additional info and materials and it's really pity that @dave3622 discontinued its updates. :cry:
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

What's a TOSEC and why are you looking there?
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

What's a TOSEC and why are you looking there?
Hi Steve, https://www.tosecdev.org/
and you can find some archives on internet. It could be a good idea to list all existing files and catalog them in a dat catalog.
I agree that tosec pack is a mess (as a lot of oric archives on the net).
A lot of software isn't named or not properly, and not reliable.

Even Oric Gamebase tap files aren't fully near the original, with some multi-tap files or rename software inside the tap file

Some days, i've asked them to update the catalog (if software isn't shared with packs, you can use tosec system to rename and check other sources) but i didn't take time to convince them to use oric brand instead of tangerine and some other details

If needed, i can produce a dat file (with 3455 items) to check your directories. But it's quite uncomplete and i've a lot of files to check and add.

Didier
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Thanks - I did find it after a search. I couldn't find Oric tapes though.It doesn't seem a very easy site to find things.

Gamebase has the problem of not labelling the software house, so you have different version of things like Invaders and aren't sure which is which.
And it just has games.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Steve M wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 pm Thanks - I did find it after a search. I couldn't find Oric tapes though.It doesn't seem a very easy site to find things.

Gamebase has the problem of not labelling the software house, so you have different version of things like Invaders and aren't sure which is which.
And it just has games.
Hi Steve, have you installed the Gamebase frontend as it's required to use the database correctly. When installed you can see the programmer, software house etc for every game, along with screenshots, scans etc and the ability to play the game with a click of a button. See attached screenshot.
Attachments
gamebase.png
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Thanks - I don't think I did that. I found it a bit confusing.
I don't think I have the full thing any more. I just saved the files. Is it available for download now?
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

For those who don't wan't to install gamebase software, you can use jgamebase from https://jgamebase.sourceforge.io/
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga