is the Oric rom open source ?

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
goyo
Officer Cadet

is the Oric rom open source ?

Post by goyo »

Hi,

I asked the 8bitworkshop website if they could add the oric in the online emulators.. He asks me : if the oric rom is open source. .....?

https://8bitworkshop.com/v3.8.0/?repo=s ... e=mminer.s

It should be possible, if there is an open-source BIOS available.
I'm not even sure who owns the copyright for the original BIOS, does anyone on the forums know?
Thanks for the email!

On 9/23/21 9:59 AM, Greg wrote:
Hi,

Congratulation for this amazing web site.

It’s will be wonderfull to add the Oric Atmos computer 😊
Oric Atmos — Wikipédia (wikipedia.org)

There are a Community of this computer : https://forum.defence-force.org/

We dreams to have a workshop online like yours for this computer.

Best regards.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: is the Oric rom open source ?

Post by iss »

The Oric ROM is NOT open source.
See this very old posts: Oric ROM copyright for some more info.

8bitworkshop.com IDE is really cool and it would be great to have Oric as target machine!
BTW, how they manged to support C64, MSX, Apple][ which ROMs are not open source too?
goyo
Officer Cadet

Post by goyo »

iss wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:13 pm The Oric ROM is NOT open source.
See this very old posts: Oric ROM copyright for some more info.

8bitworkshop.com IDE is really cool and it would be great to have Oric as target machine!
BTW, how they manged to support C64, MSX, Apple][ which ROMs are not open source too?
Thank you i will communicate this post like a response. May be it ll be effective. :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I guess technically if the ROM contains unlicensed Microsoft code, it's already shady on a legal point of view: "Is it illegal to use without authorization something made from unlicensed code" :)
6502Nerd
Pilot Officer

Post by 6502Nerd »

Dbug wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:03 am I guess technically if the ROM contains unlicensed Microsoft code, it's already shady on a legal point of view: "Is it illegal to use without authorization something made from unlicensed code" :)
Here is a solution - we can use dflat! It is created by me from scratch and I have made it open source :-)

Ok it's not Oric BASIC - but it is fully featured with sound, graphics, drawing and even software sprites. On top there it includes an inline assembler. The biggest constraint it that it deals with integer numbers only (no floating point).

But this 8bitworkshop is amazing, would be great to see Oric on it!