Clock Signal — an Oric emulator for macOS and Linux

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
ThomH
Flying Officer

Re: Clock Signal — an Oric emulator for macOS and Linux

Post by ThomH »

Cool, thanks!

So I've rejigged the way the keyboard is handled in X11 with Qt, and am attempting to push a new build now.

I can easily see how I'd made an error with escape but, in any event, have eliminated a whole bunch of the sort of magic key code constants that would be likely to cause a mistake. Also it looks like the keyboard I use is atypical — not surprising with hindsight, being a Mac keyboard and a virtual machine — so it's probably for the best that I've ditched hard-coded key codes.

I suspect a further can of worms may be forthcoming re:non-English layouts, but I'll deal with that if/when it arises.

If you installed via your distribution's software listing / app store / similar, then the update should just automatically install. I don't know exactly what the normal timing of that is, but I think it's usually a silent background operation.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Compiled from sources and CTRL/SHIFT are working for me under Fedora/KDE in both SDL and Qt!
Noticed that Qt doesn't have any sound (tested Oric and Apple) but I'm not sure if it's just by me.
Thanks for update!
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Thanks. I will have a look later. (It's on my other computer.) I think I can do a manual update if it hasn't done it automatically.
ThomH
Flying Officer

Post by ThomH »

iss wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:48 am Noticed that Qt doesn't have any sound (tested Oric and Apple) but I'm not sure if it's just by me.
That definitely sounds like a bug. I'll file it and look into it.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I had to uninstall and reinstall. The CTRL works now. ESC works in part. Some ESC codes were working. Others didn't seem to. I couldn't get ESC A to produce red.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Steve M wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:25 pmI couldn't get ESC A to produce red.
Just pressing ESC then A works for me:
Screenshot_20210507_112001.png
Screenshot_20210507_112053.png
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Tried again today and got it to work OK. Not sure why it was being difficult before.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Can anyone convert these for me to Oric dsk files?
They are Sedoric DOS 2 and 2.1 master disks with a few added things, I think.

Trying a newer version of Greaseweazle software - not sure if it's any different.

The Sed2 disk has a couple of bad sectors but I don't think it is in an area that matters. Sed2.1 looks OK.
Attachments
Sed2.zip
(577.88 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Steve M wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:04 pm Can anyone convert these for me to Oric dsk files?
Done! Both work for me.
Attachments
Sed2-dsk.zip
(335.73 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Many thanks!
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I tried to install Clock-signal under Ubuntu GNOME, I put the Atmos and Oric1 ROM but the screen is dark...
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Did you use this?
Attachments
oric-pal-prom.zip
(247 Bytes) Downloaded 135 times
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I don't know where to put it. :lol:
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

It asked me for Oric colour ROM . I think I just drag and dropped it on the main screen where you add Atmos ROM. I added Microdisc, Atmos and I think Oric-1 ROMs. It should then boot into the main loading screen.
ThomH
Flying Officer

Post by ThomH »

I've had other reports of a blank screen (or, sometimes, a blank screen that intermittently flashes a tiny bit of content) with the Qt build for X11, so I think this is a genuine bug.

I'm not currently able to reproduce, but am considering switching to a software renderer* both because it completely resolves the question of whether there's an issue in sandboxing versus OpenGL and because a reference software renderer would be a good step towards rewriting the OpenGL renderer, which I want to do because the newer Metal implementation not only does things in a smarter way for no API-specific reason, but also because I now have a Pi400 so can write and test a GL ES 3 version in order to bring that hardware into the fold.

* which sounds a bit stupid in the context of an Oric emulator, but in my case the internal semantics are such as to construct a video stream, which is parsed and then largely processed on the GPU. It makes it easier to support the range of platforms that I do if nothing is a special case.