Colorful 360° 3D little Game Tech Demo

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Colorful 360° 3D little Game Tech Demo

Post by jbperin »

Hi all,

Little test of 360 degrees 3D usage for little adventure game.
VIEW02.PNG
VIEW03.PNG
If you want to try by yourself .. good news !! there's a DSK file here :D
GameTechDemoVR360.dsk
(525.25 KiB) Downloaded 296 times
feedback more than welcome
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Colorful 360° 3D little Game Tech Demo

Post by iss »

I like it, especially the color presentation! :)
This can be good start to "remaster" some old text based adventures games...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Just bloody wonderful. One thing I do wonder, though, is whether its necessary to render this in realtime, or if in fact bitmaps can just be loaded from disk. But, I don't really know what I'm talking about, so whatever ..
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

iss wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:17 pm This can be good start to "remaster" some old text based adventures games...
Yes that's a good idea ..
The problem is the size of panoramic image.
Such an image weights 32kb and has to be loaded at each scene change.
Is there a way to make this loading acceptable by players not having an Oricart or an Orix board ?
ibisum wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:04 pm render this in realtime, or if in fact bitmaps can just be loaded from disk.
It would likely be faster to load from disk but storing the bitmap of the screen (78*64) for each (16*5) angular rotation possibilities would require 16*5*78*64 = 400kb
Storing an equirectangular projection of the scene with the proper algo to compensate deformations allow me to store a 3D scene on 32Kb

The algo that computes the correction can still be optimized ..
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

jbperin wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:37 pm Such an image weights 32kb and has to be loaded at each scene change.
Is there a way to make this loading acceptable by players not having an Oricart or an Orix board ?
32K are not so much. IMO, a disk-based solution will be quite OK.
Of course you can use compression to store data on floppy - recent LZ implementations are really very good on size and decompression speed.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:53 pm Of course you can use compression to store data on floppy - recent LZ implementations are really very good on size and decompression speed.
Which is basically what Floppy Builder uses if you enable the FilePack method, files are compressed in LZ77 on disk and decompressed in real time when loaded.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Dbug wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:36 am if you enable the FilePack method, files are compressed in LZ77 on disk and decompressed in real time when loaded.
I've got the following line in my floppybuilderdescript.txt file:

Code: Select all

SetCompressionMode FilePack 						; So far only two modes: 'None' and 'FilePack'
So I presume it is compressed.

Is time loading from DSK in Oricutron realistic compare to a real device ?
Because, in Oricutron, the loading time between scene is not too long and I'm surprised because I was expecting a loading duration around of 6 sec ..
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Here are the source code of this little demo.
VR4Oric-main.zip
(57.9 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
to build it with your OSDK just type:

Code: Select all

cd VR4Oric-main
osdk_build.bat && osdk_execute.bat
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

jbperin wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:00 pm Is time loading from DSK in Oricutron realistic compare to a real device ?
Because, in Oricutron, the loading time between scene is not too long and I'm surprised because I was expecting a loading duration around of 6 sec ..
The transfer time is the same, if I recall correctly, but emulation is a bit faster as it does not include the mechanical movement of the head AND/OR the full rotation if a sector is missed... That means, if sectors are not interleaved properly. I had a big performance difference because the old version of writedsk, when it found the disk already was formatted, was not formatting it again with the geometry I wanted. Once this was solved the differences were much smaller (1-2 secs loading the game intro I think).
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

Chema wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:21 am the differences were much smaller (1-2 secs loading the game intro I think).
Thank you for these information.

I have no way to load a DSK on my real Oric. So I can't really test how it behaves.

I wonder if this technology of panoramic 3d can be used in an adventure game.

I think graphism are recognizable enough (while being very "dirty" and not accurate).
My other concern is about the time it would take between 2 scene because of the loading.

That's why I was asking.

Thank you again
rax
Flying Officer

Post by rax »

Very good graphics. you did it again. :)
I think really that floppy disk with compression of all the pictures, is a good option.

Congratulations also to @Dbug for the support.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Post by jbperin »

rax wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:23 pm Very good graphics. you did it again. :)
Hi rax,
I'm glad that you like it .. Dbug gave me a good idea to fasten the display .. I haven't yet done the optim but his idea sounds reallt good and it might make the whole thing go far faster.

I change the topic to inform you that I'm currently using your engine to animate a soldier in a raycasting demo here:

https://forum.defence-force.org/viewtop ... 007#p26007

I changed it a little bit in order to make more easily portable in assembly. But the principle remains the same.

Thank to your engine I can easily animate Non Player Characters and that's great 👍

If one day I manage to make an efficient enough rendering engine .. would you accept to do an AI to drive soldiers in a kind of clone of Wolf ?

Not sure it is possible make if ever ... Who knows ..