2010 Games

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Symoon
Archivist

2010 Games

Post by Symoon »

You can now vote and leave a comment on http://www.oric.org for the games that were released in 2010:
- O-Thrust
- Stormlord
- Impossible Mission

Go to the software section, search for year 2010.
Some of the ratings I've seen so far are rather disappointing IMHO. Your turn ;-)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

You are completely right Symoon. People simply are not used to commetn/rate on oric.org anymore I guess, but it is a very visible site for people outside these forums, so I think we should make an effort in supporting it.

I have commented and rated the latest games (except those I worked at, of course).

About low rates on some games, well I guess it is just that people are getting used to the high quality games of the latest years. Also the gameplay/interest is a bit confusing, for me. I may find a game very interesting, even when the gameplay is not so good (for instance with Zorgons or Kilburn Encounter, to mention two on different genres), or the opposite (one may completely dislike text adventure games, but who will tell that the parser of Infocom Adventures and the whole gameplay is bad?).

Cheers.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I did my duty :)

About the rating, I guess the problem is that we don't have many people voting, so one single person not liking a game can put it down badly.

But well, does not change anything to the fact that 2010 has been a particularly good year with an impressively high level of quality, topping that is going to be a challenge :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Ah, nice to see the comments ! :D
I have myself not noted 1337 yet, I consider I haven't played enough (only the 1st and 2nd training missions), not because of lack of interest but because of lack of spare time.
maximus
Flying Officer

Post by maximus »

Yep , not enough votes
I think it's illogical to have the same rank for oldies ans news
We compare things so different and you will have automatically the new games in the TOP5.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

maximus wrote:We compare things so different and you will have automatically the new games in the TOP5.
And isn't that logical? Seems so to me... Let's face it, nearly all games for the Oric back then were quite primitive (at least), mostly when compared with software for other similar computers.

Recent software can compare with (and sometimes will beat) what was done in other similar computers back then, and even what is done today (taking in account the hardware limitations).

Mmm... maybe we should have a new scale from 0-10 :)

Personally I don't care much, as I understand that this ratings are relative, and don't serve to compare old/new games at all, but as a good feedback for future projects :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

maximus wrote:I think it's illogical to have the same rank for oldies ans news
We compare things so different and you will have automatically the new games in the TOP5.
What's wrong with that ? There are 2 TOPS, one more technical where the most recent and technically impressive games will TOP, and that's absolutely logical (which game is graphically better than Impossible Mission: perfectly smooth animation, all in HIRES, which choice of coloured of monochrom graphics...)
Another "overall" TOP is there to allow all the games, new or old, technically brillant or not, to stand with an equal chance.

What's illogical is giving marks to change the TOP5 ranking. some bad marks or higer marks are sometimes obviously given, not to evaluate the games quality, but to kick them out of the rankings or put them higher.

After all, maybe the rankings should not be displayed at all, but just be for instance, a sorting parameter after a search.