After Impossible Mission

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.

Which game would you like me to work on after Impossible Mission?

Poll ended at Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Times of Lore(RPG)
13%
O-Type(Shoot em up)
50%
Wurlde(Mammoth Arcade Adventure)
13%
Lemmings(!)
13%
Gauntlet(Hack n Slash RPG)
13%
Prince of Persia(Platformer)
No votes
Other game(Suggest in thread)
No votes
Not interested, i'm an alien from the planet Zod
No votes

Total votes: 16

Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

O-Type of course! :) Mmmm I think Berzerk would be a interesting game to convert.

C64 BerzerkRedux
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Phew, O-Type! I can play that with the boy! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Silicebit. wrote:O-Type of course! :) Mmmm I think Berzerk would be a interesting game to convert.

C64 BerzerkRedux
Do you mean that Richard managed to write one single interesting game at last?

Most of his games I tried, had very decent graphics, more than ok musics, but abysmal gameplay.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

No worries Twilighte, you'll have to do much worse than that to upset me ;)

I like these little technical reveals, its what makes it interesting, and there's no denying you know what you're doing.

Perhaps its a personal psychological thing as well - I really liked the monochrome option in Stormlord precisely because it was so Speccyish. Colour mode is nice, but it bears no direct comparison with other systems as its done in such an odd way. It does look very individual, it makes it quite easy to spot a Twilighte game, but when telling others that the Oric can hold its own with the big boys, its nice to have a direct correlation to show them.
JamesD
Flight Lieutenant

Post by JamesD »

Silicebit. wrote:O-Type of course! :) Mmmm I think Berzerk would be a interesting game to convert.

C64 BerzerkRedux
That's actually not a bad suggestion for a project. The gameplay and graphics aren't very complicated. The only difficult thing would be voice which could be added later.
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

1 - O-Type
2 - Wurlde
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

I'm really upset that i've still not found anyone from the Planet Zod yet :(

I'm surprised that Gauntlet is getting some votes and not Prince of Persia.
Would those Gauntlet addicts insist on a scrolling game or is flip screen acceptable?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I believe the best example of what could be a decent gauntlet game is the french game from Loriciels "Le Secret du Tombeau" (aka "Axayacatl"), the whole map of the game scrolls around you, and I think for a gauntlet that would be a good way to do it.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:I believe the best example of what could be a decent gauntlet game is the french game from Loriciels "Le Secret du Tombeau" (aka "Axayacatl"), the whole map of the game scrolls around you, and I think for a gauntlet that would be a good way to do it.
Isn't it what Times Of Lore (in the works) is doing too ? Looks like a nearly perfect Gauntlet-like to me ;-)
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Symoon wrote:Isn't it what Times Of Lore (in the works) is doing too ? Looks like a nearly perfect Gauntlet-like to me ;-)
Yes, Gauntlet could become so much more in an environment such as using the TOL graphics engine. The AI could also be raised according to players tastes :P

Anyway another game i didn't raise in the poll was Nebulus. Now there's a cool game that could be really great on the Oric 8)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Oh, if you are looking for ideas I have several too, but they're always the same ;-)
Ok, go for it:
- Dungeon Master (rings a bell Dbug ? ;-))
- Sundog (Atari ST game from FTL, kind of Elite-like in a smaller system but with more exploration on planets)
- Mercenary (after Chema's achievements, and the fact that it was released on C64, Spectrum, Amstrad... Seems hard but possible)
- Colonial Conquest (Atari ST game from SSI) I had begun, long ago, studying graphics for this one with my poor knowledge.

And what about games like Sierras or Lucasfilm ?

Well, these are just ideas based on games I spent days on, 20 years ago. I'd be happy to play any new Oric game though of course :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Dungeon Master is a game I will never finish on the Oric, for multiple reasons:
- Four characters and no mouse = crappy game play
- Sticking to the original game is just not interesting, it's not possible to do an enjoyable port of the original.
- With the same investment of time, you can do a new adventure with choices that are actually making good use of the Oric hardware.

So, some kind of adventure/rpg game, that's possible, Dungeon Master port, nope.

That's not for nothing I'm pushing other Oric people doing "clones" of games to go farther. Doing a clone is cool, sure. Gives the machine a game they did not have. But we are in 2010, we've been playing many other games since then, the expectations of people have changed, our own expertise as changed, so why not just IMPROVE and ITERATE on the original games.

That's why I'm very happy that Chema decided to go that way with 1337. It's close enough of Elite for people to feel comfortable with it, while at the same time being a lot more complex/deep than the original 8 bit Elite games. All that while being a lot more playable and easy to learn.

Now for your list of games, Colonial Conquest is by far the one I see with the best difficulty/interest ratio. It's a reasonably easy to make game, it's a very social game, it's a lot of fun, and you can play it as many times you want. The hard part is to make the database and graphics fit in memory :)

(Now if I was working on such a game, I would probably not do a straight port, would try to get a kind of cross-over between Colonial Conquest, Balance of Power, Civilization, Risk , etc...)

And my own add to the list: Worms, because like Colonial Conquest it's a turned based multiplayer ball of fun :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:That's why I'm very happy that Chema decided to go that way with 1337. It's close enough of Elite for people to feel comfortable with it, while at the same time being a lot more complex/deep than the original 8 bit Elite games. All that while being a lot more playable and easy to learn.
Sure, the games names are there to give ideas. Would it be exact clone or not is not an issue. Some original Oric game already had differences on other machines (for technical reasons, see l'Aigle d'Or on MO5 and Oric for instance).
For instance, Tyrann has proved some Dungeon Master-like games could be done on the Oric. Revamp it with graphics like the one you did would be cool, even if one keeps the turn-based combat system to avoid any complicated real-time mouse-less management. I may be dreaming of course, there's always a big step between "it would be cool if" and reality.
Dbug wrote:Now for your list of games, Colonial Conquest is by far the one I see with the best difficulty/interest ratio. It's a reasonably easy to make game, it's a very social game, it's a lot of fun, and you can play it as many times you want. The hard part is to make the database and graphics fit in memory :)
As it would hold lots of graphics, it sure should be disk-based. I'm in touch from time to time with someone that made a clone of it for PC. Belive it or no, IMHO the hardest part would be the computer IA. We found lots of complications knowing what to do when more than 2 nations attack the same country (who will fight who, who will be at war with, and so on).
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote:As it would hold lots of graphics, it sure should be disk-based. I'm in touch from time to time with someone that made a clone of it for PC. Belive it or no, IMHO the hardest part would be the computer IA. We found lots of complications knowing what to do when more than 2 nations attack the same country (who will fight who, who will be at war with, and so on).
Which brings an interesting point related to the poll from Twilighte: Who is actually trying the games on the real hardware, how many people are trying them on emulators, and if on real hardware, how many people have a Microdisc unit.

Twilighte is trying hard to make his games to work on tapes, which I believe is a commendable effort, and sure allows for the largest possible audience, while making disk games reduces it to people who uses emulators or to the few fortunates to have working disk units.

Personally I'm pushing for disk based games, for a number of reasons:
- the less disk only stuff we have, the less motivation there are having people trying to solve the disk availability issues (SD cards, new controller boards, etc...)
- very large tape games take forever to load, it's borderline insanity :)
- the designer of a disk based game can take the opportunity of having 16 more kilobytes of memory, faster interrupts handling, easy implementation of "save game", faster loading times, possibility to do complex games that loads parts/graphics/audio, possibility to have rich content with intros sequences, etc...

Typically on disk, a role playing game with a large map of the world, and then various castles, dungeons, crypts, towns, to explore in detail, is totally possible. Just free the previous map and load the map of the new location. On tape you can't do that.

On disk you can do things like the last big CEO game ported from the "Mysteries..." serie, with one big hires picture per location. Can't do that on tape.

So people, do you want tape games, or disc games?
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Tape. Largely because of the limited use for disc as you mentioned.

It can be argued that you can do more and 'better' games with disc multiloads, but you could use that same argument to promote more efficient or clever coding to stay within 48k.

The alternate is to create a disc based game but to also offer a (undoubtedly slow) tape multiload version. There's no reason the tape version can't operate in exactly the same way as the disc version. Not practical for those using real hardware, but for the emulation crowd who have a turboload option faster than real discs, it should work just fine.

My main desire for tape games is because DSOric only supports those, there's no disc support at all. I don't expect it to emerge either, given there's been virtually no development of it since release.