Missing games from Oric.Org

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Missing games from Oric.Org

Post by dave3622 »

I've noticed that there are quite a few games either not listed at all on Oric.Org or with game files missing. I have dozens, if not hundreds of the missing games in either TAP or DSK format. I am very happy to share them on here if anyone wants to add them or just download them to play.

Starting with "Jack-Pot", this is a rather large machine-code game published in Theoric magazine that I had to type in since I couldn't find it anywhere. Also I have the game file for Singerie which is from the same magazine. I'll add more games as and when I get time.
Attachments
SINGERIE.tap
(18.32 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
JACKPOT.TAP
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Missing games from Oric.Org

Post by ibisum »

Nice!! Jackpot is very colourful and cute graphics .. was that really a type-in? Must have been a loooot of DATA statements.

SINGERIE: Cute little Donkey Kong clone .. I think I remember typing this one in and it not working somehow .. fun graphics but .. clumsy playability, imho. Still, nice to see - thanks for the work! Looking forward to what you find next ..
coolman66
Flying Officer

Post by coolman66 »

Nice to see someone sharing hard to find games , keep going Dave !
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Here's "Orical Invaders" from Domere Software. This is one I transferred myself from tape several years ago. The game is listed but no game file exists.

Also I have "Cupid Bounces Back", another machine code type-in game.
Attachments
CUPID.tap
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Orical Invaders.tap
(8.27 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Last two for today; Mines of Saturn and Return to Earth, two adventure games from Mikrogen.

Edit; also added "Red Devils", not listed. Released by 'Pennant' in 1983.
Attachments
DEVILS.tap
(4.22 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Return to Earth.tap
(7.99 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Mines of Saturn.tap
(8.7 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Nice! Red Devils is my favourite far - such a simple concept which gets devilishly difficult as the screenspace fills .. seems like this would be a nice game to add some animation to, also .. gameplay is nice, but with a bit of sauce, it could be a bit more fun to play longer ..

(Oricutron users: Cupid and Orical Invaders both work in Oric-1mode on Oricutron.)

Cupid is another game that could be cute with some animations, maybe the characters hair bouncing about .. fun game concept and also a bit mundane after the 5th or 6th wall, but definitely cute. Also nice to see machine code being used without much colour clash. Will have to look at some of this code.. EDIT: Cupid is a neat game concept, could be a "Flappy Bird" ..
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

OK here's one more for tonight. It's "Yin-Yang", a large type-in published in Hebdogiciel. There is a version online but it is full of bugs. I spent ages correcting the data errors for the game's graphics so this should hopefully be fully playable now.
Attachments
YINYANG.TAP
(21.26 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

YINYANG gets as far as putting up a bunch of character graphics on the screen, redefining the charset, and flashing "attendez 300 s" on the screen .. forever. Tried it on both Oric-1 and Atmos configurations, same result.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

ibisum wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 am YINYANG gets as far as putting up a bunch of character graphics on the screen, redefining the charset, and flashing "attendez 300 s" on the screen .. forever. Tried it on both Oric-1 and Atmos configurations, same result.
Load the game in Atmos mode. After 5 minutes (less if you press F6 for warp speed in Oricutron) you get the skill level screen which is adjustable with '<' and '>'. You then press SPACE to start the game.

Collect the purple paving stones to build a bridge so you can get to the Yin-Yang symbol on the top level. Use the red teleporters to change between levels. Use keys 'A' to 'Z' to move up and down, and SPACE to jump.
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Next up is Destroyer, a machine code game published in Your Computer Magazine. A version used to exist online somewhere but was bugged so I re-typed in the game and corrected any errors due to the hard to read code.
Attachments
Destroyer.tap
(5.02 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

That is really great Dave! Can't believe you re-typed a MC program with bugs and hard to read text. Incredible. Thanks so much!
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Chema wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:29 pm That is really great Dave! Can't believe you re-typed a MC program with bugs and hard to read text. Incredible. Thanks so much!
No worries, I actually enjoy it (yes I'm weird!). Here's Revenge of the Beans, typed in from the final issue of Oric Owner Magazine. Another MC game. I'm trying to find games that are a least somewhat playable rather than BASIC junk from books.
Attachments
BEANS.tap
(6.25 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Two more to finish off with today; Tevrog's Kingdom II and Quest for Power. A rare commercial release, both games came together and are written in BASIC, not unlike the early IJK double releases. They are listed on oric.org but no files exist.
Attachments
Questpow.tap
(7.94 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Kingdom.tap
(32.57 KiB) Downloaded 202 times
dave3622
Flying Officer

Post by dave3622 »

Just remembered these two games which strangely enough were on a copy of Cassette 50 I bought, presumably an updated version (100% machine code!). They are blatant clones of Invaders and Mushroom Mania, both released by Arcadia Software. Simon Phillips is credited as the author which makes me wonder if he wrote the original games.
Attachments
GALACTIC.tap
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
PLASBOLT.tap
(10.77 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

You are on a serious roll! :)

Destroyer: a simple shooter with neat animation effects and aesthetics of the HARRIER ATTACK nature, which is nevertheless quite a pleasant play. It could probably have a few more levels and/or staging, like HARRIER ATTACK, and despite the occasional colour clash, is a pretty cute distraction in itself.

Revenge of the Beans: a dodge game, also with neat animations. A bit more of the monotonous gameplay, perhaps. I like the listing, though, some neat tricks.

Quest/Kingdom: put in my "ADVENTURE" folder, never to be touched again. ;)

Galactic: Yay, another invader game! Pretty good one too, at least for a few minutes ..

Plasma Bolt: hangs, both on Oric-1 and Atmos, alas. Might try again later, seems like an action CATERPILLAR clone, which can be great if there's bogies...