Ludo game now truly multi platform

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Ludo game now truly multi platform

Post by xahmol »

Not real new for here as the Oric Atmos version did not change since the release of my C version: but maybe of interest that I now also finished my TI-99/4a and Commodore 128 (80 column) ports.

In 1992 I wrote a C128 80 column version of the game LUDO in BASIC. With the retrieval of my old hardware my retro hobby was rekindled beginning 2020.
That is why I thought it would be fun to revisit my 1992 BASIC code and port it to the machines I an now again using, now using C to speed things up,

Now have finished versions for the TI-99/4a, the Oric Atmos and the Commodore 128 (80 column mode).
To do is still a ZX Spectrum version ;-)

Full source code, documentation and all versions for the different machines still at:
https://github.com/xahmol/ludo
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Ludo game now truly multi platform

Post by jbperin »

If I understand well your current professional profile, you're not what we can call a "developer".

But let me tell you that what you're giving us today is clearly what a developer can be proud of.

That's an amazing work and, as a modest Oric developer, I can only thank you for this work.

Let's be clear, that's not what a Chema, a RaxIss, or a Dbug can produce but that clearly remains what most common developers like me can learn from.

Thank you for sharing with us your works on Ludo and help spread the multi-platform practices.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Thanks!

No, I am not a developer by profession. Actually stopped coding when I started working, no time at the time next to a full time job and the study at the same time for first Certified Public Accountant (the Dutch variant of it) and Certified IT Auditor (again the Dutch certification). Work as an IT auditor at a large insurance company.

Actually started to code again as IT auditing involves coding nowadays for data analytics in Python, combined with Linux command line I needed to learn to work with Amazon Web Services and getting AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate. Goal is to know enough to be able to figure out what the people I have to audit are doing 😉which also includes not needing to write code, but at least to be able to read code of others to be able to audit.
Problem with my profession only is that as I know how many things you can do wrong to completely destroy the security of the platform you are building that I am quite reluctant to program anything for modern machines 😉 No need for secure coding principles on an 8 bit 😂

And when last year I rebound my old hardware and started my retro hobby anew, that was a great time to revisit my 8 bit coding knowledge from long ago. But I am nowhere near the coding skills of Chema, DBug, Rax, Iss and some others here yet.
Novice still in C and very novice in assembler. But quick in being able to reuse what others build and share good practices for.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Great update,
Thanks for sharing and i'm very happy to learn more with your source.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Congrats @xahmol!
It's amazing amount of work - well done!