Games with joysticks on twilighte board

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
jede
Flying Officer

Games with joysticks on twilighte board

Post by jede »

Hello,

Here is some video about games with joysticks on twilighte board (on real Oric):

Stormlord :

Ghost gobbler :

Oricium with joystick.
jbperin
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Games with joysticks on twilighte board

Post by jbperin »

That's so cool !! :o

Do you have any recommendation for a model of joystick to use?

What are the design constraint on software for them to be playable with joystick or joypad?

It's a very nice feature of Twilighte board.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

Curious indeed, but there is info on the makers website on this.

Just to check if I interpret this information correctly:
If I read on http://orix.oric.org/twilighte-board-v0-6-user-manual/ the statement under features '2 DB9 Joysticks (atari)', I assume I can plug in my old Commodore 64 joysticks (one Wico Commander and one Wico The Boss)?

Further on that same page it states:
'Extra hardware to have
(...)
DB9 atari joysticks : Theses joysticks port works with atari joystick pinout. Oricium (Orix version) works with this joystick
usb joysticks to DB9 converter. Used for tests : TOM2 hardware and Wireless Logitech Gamepad F710
usb mouse : driver is not written yet.'

So apparently you can also use USB joysticks/joypads with an USB to DB9 converter.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

jbperin wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 am That's so cool !! :o

Do you have any recommendation for a model of joystick to use?

What are the design constraint on software for them to be playable with joystick or joypad?

It's a very nice feature of Twilighte board.
A lot of Oric games works with joysticks with atmos rom on the board without any game patch. Some must be modified, that is why Oricium and Stormlord are started with Orix native mode, because i modified inputs.

I used master system joypad, but now, i use mainly modern joypad with TOM2 hardware.
Last edited by jede on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

xahmol wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:30 am Curious indeed, but there is info on the makers website on this.

Just to check if I interpret this information correctly:
If I read on http://orix.oric.org/twilighte-board-v0-6-user-manual/ the statement under features '2 DB9 Joysticks (atari)', I assume I can plug in my old Commodore 64 joysticks (one Wico Commander and one Wico The Boss)?

Further on that same page it states:
'Extra hardware to have
(...)
DB9 atari joysticks : Theses joysticks port works with atari joystick pinout. Oricium (Orix version) works with this joystick
usb joysticks to DB9 converter. Used for tests : TOM2 hardware and Wireless Logitech Gamepad F710
usb mouse : driver is not written yet.'

So apparently you can also use USB joysticks/joypads with an USB to DB9 converter.
I don't know if your c64 joysticks will work on the board, i don't know the c64 pinout but master system or CPC joypads works.

There is others usb to DB9 converter. I used TOM2, but there is a lot of others converters.

Anyway, ROM2 does not handle the third button (or i did no see it in the manual). It means that the card handles 3 buttons, but TOM2 does not map it.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

jede wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 am I don't know if your c64 joysticks will work on the board, i don't know the c64 pinout but master system or CPC joypads works.
Lets try ;-) Unless you tell me it fries the board or so.....

If I read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_joystick_port it appears that Atari and C64 joysticks are pretty much the same with the exception that the Atari only supports one button, where C64 joysticks potentially can support up to three buttons.
But as my two old joysticks only have one button (one at a time at least, the Wico Command Control can switch from top to bottom button but only one at a time can be used) I believe my two joysticks are fully original Atari compatible.

Both joysticks also work perfectly fine on my ZX Spectrum 128 via the Kempston joystick interface provided by the DivMMC Future extension board.

But gladly hear if somebody can point out I am mistaken here.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

jede wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 am master system or CPC joypads works.
That triggers me, as according to the Wikipedia page I referred to above, both Master System and Amstrad CPC joysticks actually do use a different pin layout compared to original Atari.... (unlike the C64)
They are also different to each other according to that overview.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

xahmol wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:19 am
jede wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 am master system or CPC joypads works.
That triggers me, as according to the Wikipedia page I referred to above, both Master System and Amstrad CPC joysticks actually do use a different pin layout compared to original Atari.... (unlike the C64)
They are also different to each other according to that overview.
Hello,

I mean "master system and amstrad joysticks works" : Without damage and directions are working, some button are inverted, but it works. If you need pinout here is : https://wiki.defence-force.org/doku.php ... ck_curcuit (in french)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I love that you've patched Oricium to use joystick. Does it have two buttons? Because there is a jump feature (accessible with a dedicated keystroke or pressing -> <- simultaneously).

And, whether it is useful, but not necessary in most of the 42 levels, it is needed, iirc, to beat the final boss.
xahmol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by xahmol »

jede wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:55 pm If you need pinout here is : https://wiki.defence-force.org/doku.php ... ck_curcuit (in french)
Great. That is standard Atari pin layout indeed and C64 joysticks should be compatible.