3D Fongus with Erebus : does not load

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

3D Fongus with Erebus : does not load

Post by dizzy33 »

Hello,

I have problem trying to load 3D Fongus on my Erebus. I get a black screen with two text lines on the bottom of the screen, and nothing happens (tried to press all keys).
I tried many different releases of the file (including one file which is known to be working on another Erebus), I tried different SD cards formated in different ways, I tried on 2 differents Oric Atmos, and every time the same issue ...
For now I tried about 20 games on my new Erebus, and this is the only one not working.

Does anyone know why ? Did you ever meet this problem with 3D Fongus ?

Thanks !
iss
Wing Commander

Re: 3D Fongus with Erebus : does not load

Post by iss »

Try the attached file. It's stripped - no start-up picture, but after you press 'space' twice when asked, I think you will fly... ;).
Attachments
3dfongus-mod.tap.zip
(24.09 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Thank you very much ! I will try it.
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Thanks a million ! it works very well on my Erebus ! I would be happy to know why the non-modded release does not work ...
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

I found a POKE#A0,0 in the first part of the program, it is not compatible with the Erebus interface, I delete it, you can try. :wink:
Attachments
3DFongEr.tap
(46.89 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Thanks a million again Kenneth, I tried it and it works fine ! Great job !
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Well, now I have another problem, but with "The Ultra" ... When the game starts, the spaceship appears, then the game freezes with a sound playing for ever ...
I tried several releases of the game and still have the same issue.
Is "The Ultra" working for you with the Erebus ?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Can you put the failing file into the attachment post, I will study this...
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

In fact I tried several releases downloaded from different sites. Here are the one I have tried :

http://www.gametronik.com/site/fiche/oric/Ultra/
On this site I tried both TAP releases.

https://www.oric.org/software/ultra__the-582.html
On this site I tried both TAP releases also (Oric-1 and Atmos releases).
With the Oric-1 release the first presentation page is displayed, then the game starts, the spaceship appears, then it freezes.
With the Atmos release there is no presentation page, the game starts directly, the spaceship appears, then it freezes.

Thanks a lot Kenneth for helping me with this issue.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

This version
Ultra (UK) (19xx) [a1]
of Gametronic is the same than mine, so I don't understand... :?:
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Strange ... I tried again on my two Atmos and the result is the same. Just in case, could you please send your "the ultra" file to me by email ?
Mustangus
Officer Cadet

Post by Mustangus »

Both of these works on mine. The 2 from the link you provided 1 plays and the other just freezes.
Here are to that work for me.
Attachments
Oric.rar
(11.59 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

Thanks a lot Mustangus ! Now it works ! But ... it works only on one of My Oric Atmos, so this means that the other Atmos has an hardware problem ...
But it's really strange that this hardware problem would impact only this game, which is only a 16K game ! I tried many games (I think about 30), including new modern games (like impossible mission, skool daze, etc ...) and they all work. So it's very hard to guess which component is the culprit (RAM ? CPU ?).
Now I will have to learn how to troubleshoot an Atmos ...

Anyway thank you very much to all of you for your answers !

EDIT : I can't believe there is a hardware problem with so much games working fine, is there mulitple ROM versions for the Oric Atmos, maybe this Atmos has a ROM release not compatible with "The Ultra" ?
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

The computer works with the RomBasic that is in the Erebus, so there is something else, if the camera can format the SdCard, it may be a virus in the PC computer that does a bad format, I work with Windows10 and FAT16 for the SdCard, I've never had any problems...
dizzy33
Officer Cadet

Post by dizzy33 »

The SD card format is good as Ultra works on one of my Atmos. What I do not understand is why Ultra does not work on my other Atmos.
I would understand if I had many problems with this other Atmos, I would say there is definitly an hardware problem on it, but on this Atmos most of the games do work normally (including all new modern games).
If you say the Erebus ROM overrides the original ROM (I forgot that point), then this means it's not a ROM problem.
So there is something wrong with my other Atmos which should be hardware, but again it's very surprising that only one game is impacted by this potential hardware issue.
It could be a RAM issue, but Ultra is only a 16k game, and all 48K games I tried do work fine. Very strange ...

I need to find a diagnostic software in TAP format, if such a software exist on the Oric ...