The QUILL

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dom
Flying Officer

The QUILL

Post by Dom »

Hello,
Symoon said on the Oricutron thread that I had released a disc version of GRANDAD. That's true. :) I did that "by hand", using an Hexa decimal editor and Euphoric debuger. Reading the oricutron thread, I discovered that some people were still creating adventure games with the QUILL. That's why I decided to automatise the procedure on QUIL2DISC.dsk . I read, Chema that you intend to transfer a QUILLed game onto disc, I hope this piece of code may help :)
I've tested it with GRANDAD, SAUSAGE and Krystal Word I, it seems to work. If someone reading this , has others QUILLed games in tap version, somewhere in a harddisk, it would be nice to test and report eventual bugs :)
Attachments
Quill2Disc.zip
(92.78 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Chema
Game master

Re: The QUILL

Post by Chema »

This is great!!!

I will test it immediately. Thanks indeed.

I know a group who is making a game using The Quill and they asked me for help with the Oric version. I am not sure that they want a disk game, but the possibility is indeed really interesting!

Thanks again!
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

I Quilled Krystal Worlds I but wrote KWII in 99%.9% BASIC / 0.01% machine code. Quite a different experience, having to create a parser n stuff. Good memories. Anyway, my point being that I still see sites listing KW2 as Quilled when it was not :(
Warrigal
1st Star Corporal

Post by Warrigal »

Hi guys and gals,

I'm really interested in this topic, as I'm an adventure historian. I am trying to find and preserve all text adventures from the classic period. I just downloaded The Quill for Oric a few days ago and everything seems to work fine. Unfortunately, it is quite an old version (A04). It doesn't look like the Oric got all the updates and add-ons like The Illustrator. It is also disappointing to see that there were very few Oric adventures published with The Quill. So far, I have only been able to find Grandad (by Paul Baker, Mirage Software) and Krystal Worlds (by Robert Cook, also Mirage Software) thanks to the good work of the various preservation teams.

Sausages (by Paul Baker, Mirage Software) was mentioned in this thread. Does anyone have a tap or dsk file of this that they could send me or post to the forum? I'd like to put it on oric.org.

So what other Quilled games exist? The only others that I've found mentioned are The Haunt (by Robert Cook, Mirage Software) and Manor of Madness (by Colm A McCarthy, Celtic Software). Does anyone have these? Are there any others?

Finally, would anyone be interested if I could transfer Quilled games from other platforms (such as Spectrum, C64 and Atari) to the Oric? If there's no interest, I won't bother, but if there's interest, it might make an interesting challenge for later in the year.
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

Warrigal wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08 pmFinally, would anyone be interested if I could transfer Quilled games from other platforms (such as Spectrum, C64 and Atari) to the Oric? If there's no interest, I won't bother, but if there's interest, it might make an interesting challenge for later in the year.
New ports of any kind are always welcome, but I'm always interested in a text adventure.
Warrigal
1st Star Corporal

Post by Warrigal »

Okay. The challenge is on! I'm tied up with other projects for the next 2 months or so, but I'll look into memory requirements and see what is feasible. Obviously, the adventures with smaller memory requirements will have a better chance of being ported.

Post your wish list here. I think home-brew games only, not the big commercial games. Check for potential candidates at CASA.
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Hi,
Sausages (by Paul Baker, Mirage Software) was mentioned in this thread. Does anyone have a tap or dsk file of this that they could send me or post to the forum? I'd like to put it on oric.org.
I just put this game, map and solution on http://oric.forumactif.org/t833-sausages . We do not have a 100% original version, because of bad quality of the only few transferts we have. (Thanks to Steve and Symoon).
Last edited by Dom on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Warrigal
1st Star Corporal

Post by Warrigal »

Oh, wow. That's great. I knew you guys were trying to restore Sausages, but everything went quiet and I thought you must have given up. That's another one to add to the (very long) "must play" list.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

To clarify, has Krystal Worlds (1) been transferred to .tap yet? Would love to see it again.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

robcook wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 pm To clarify, has Krystal Worlds (1) been transferred to .tap yet? Would love to see it again.
It sure was, remember! ;)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1738&hilit=krystal&start=15#p16097

I would never have guessed it was already almost 3 years ago :shock:
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Sy, I do believe we are stuck in a temporal shift. The machines made me do it!
Dom
Flying Officer

Post by Dom »

Hi,
and if you are stuck , you can download KW1 Map and solution here : http://oric.forumactif.org/t434-krystal-worlds-1
Last edited by Dom on Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robcook
Flying Officer

Post by robcook »

Symoon wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:57 pm
robcook wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:54 pm To clarify, has Krystal Worlds (1) been transferred to .tap yet? Would love to see it again.
It sure was, remember! ;)
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1738&hilit=krystal&start=15#p16097

I would never have guessed it was already almost 3 years ago :shock:
Wah! I completely forgot and didn't have that .tap file! Thank you. AGAIN!!!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi guys. Maybe someone can help me. I tried to load a game made with The Quill from my Erebus, but, just after finishing loading, the Oric rebooted.

No idea why. It works with the emulators, of course, both from tap and wav, and also from a disk image using the patch program posted here.

Any thoughts? Somebody experienced something similar?

I have to test using cumulus and the dsk image, but I have no way to load wavs to my Oric right now.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I tried the dsk version and it works. The game is not multi part or anything. It just loads, pauses for some seconds, and the Oric reboots.

An ideas?