Upgrade Time: Encounter

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Time: Encounter

Post by Dbug »

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking in adding a mode to Bas2Tap to basically generate optimized BASIC programs, by glueing together lines that don't do flow control change, removing all spaces, etc...
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Makes sense to me, Dbug.
NekoNoNiaow
Flight Lieutenant

Post by NekoNoNiaow »

Dbug wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 pm Glad you like the videos :)

I'm painfully aware of the presentation issues, but the main issue is the time it takes to do "professional youtuber" level presentation. Basically, the way I do it is that on the Friday evening I come with an idea of what I should try to show on Sunday, on Saturday a do a bit of poking and testing, and on Sunday I spend the two first hours cleaning and preparing the video material, including:
[...]
By this time I've not even started recording, and two hours have already been spent :)

[...]
Basically, without even editing it's a major time sink!
Absolutely, many people do not realize how much time video publishing takes and I howl at the moon every time I read a YouTube comment asking for more frequent videos. ;)
Dbug wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 pm As many things it's a balancing act between the quality and the time it takes. I tried my best to improve the video quality (better audio and light, better resolution), etc...

My hope is that with the practice and confidence I'm going to be able to do something better over time, but in term of investing time in editing, I don't think I'll be able to do that, else I will not be able to do anything else at all :D

Sorry for that!
Do not be sorry!

As I said, the video quality has improved drastically over the course of the series: sound got better, image quality got from "bleh" to "great" with good background framing and lighting, the presentation went from minimal to quite good, the rhythm and voicing also got better.
Every video is visibly much better than the previous one so as far as I am concerned I would be fine if you kept the format as is!

Once again, this is clearly a great effort with a great result! Keep up the hard work. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Thanks for the positive returns :)
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

HI DBug,

I watched the first two episodes of this "Pimp My Game" Youtube series of yours, and found them really interesting though I personally would just prefer articles as I'm more the "reading type" than the "watching type" for this kind of thing.

The problem I have with videos is they take a long time to watch and you generally don't get the associated "materials" to take away (code, documentation, etc.). But that's only my personal opinion of course, some people prefer watching stuff other like me prefer reading stuff.

A good point in your series is I saw that you reduced the length of the video in the second episode (I found the first one to be rather lengthy).

Now, as to your video/presentation skills, even though you're not a professional Youtuber I found you did a pretty decent job!

(I was just disappointed not to catch any glimpse of dead rats or dirty socks in the background, but I very much enjoyed the sight of your Oric cabinet!!)

Anyway, congratulations for this very interesting project (the number of comments you attracted testifies that this spurred a lot of interest within our community), I will watch the other episodes as there are very nice tricks to be learnt and it will probably incite me (and others) to try to "pimp" some old games with missing features we always wanted or just fix some shortcomings! :P
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

laurentd75 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm The problem I have with videos is they take a long time to watch and you generally don't get the associated "materials" to take away (code, documentation, etc.). But that's only my personal opinion of course, some people prefer watching stuff other like me prefer reading stuff.
Well, everything is on the SVN depot as soon as the video is published, you can find the exact thing I show in each episode "as is" in separate folders:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... Encounter/

That also include in some episodes a "misc" folder containing the relevant pages of the Oric Atmos manual or Oric Advanced User Guide :)

I'm planning to have some blog post at the end with all the interesting stuff (like what I already have at http://osdk.org/index.php?page=articles ) but I had received a number of request to do videos to show things instead of just telling about it.

I'm definitely going to do a mix of this and that, Encounter is mostly an exercise in learning about the whole "making youtube videos" thing :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Great videos, Dbug!
Off-topic: I'm curious what is the red/black "thing" sitting on the shelf with the small label "....-3DX"?
EDIT: I cut the "thing" from picture and tried google image search with string 3dx and the result is "MicroScribe 3DX Desktop Digitizer". Nice toy indeed! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:04 pm Great videos, Dbug!
Off-topic: I'm curious what is the red/black "thing" sitting on the shelf with the small label "....-3DX"?
EDIT: I cut the "thing" from picture and tried google image search with string 3dx and the result is "MicroScribe 3DX Desktop Digitizer". Nice toy indeed! :)
Indeed, it's a 3D digitizer.

I got if from work when we moved from the old office, I tried to use it, it was missing the cable and a few elements, managed to get it working, but unfortunately the thing had suffered some trauma and has became way too inaccurate because some of the joints are loose.

That being said, it looks cool, almost like a robotic arm, that's why it's there :D

And glad you like the videos :)
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

Dbug wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:31 pm
laurentd75 wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:51 pm The problem I have with videos is they take a long time to watch and you generally don't get the associated "materials" to take away (code, documentation, etc.). But that's only my personal opinion of course, some people prefer watching stuff other like me prefer reading stuff.
Well, everything is on the SVN depot as soon as the video is published, you can find the exact thing I show in each episode "as is" in separate folders:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... Encounter/

That also include in some episodes a "misc" folder containing the relevant pages of the Oric Atmos manual or Oric Advanced User Guide :)

I'm planning to have some blog post at the end with all the interesting stuff (like what I already have at http://osdk.org/index.php?page=articles ) but I had received a number of request to do videos to show things instead of just telling about it.

I'm definitely going to do a mix of this and that, Encounter is mostly an exercise in learning about the whole "making youtube videos" thing :)
Ah, sorry, I missed the links to your SVN repository in the Youtube description for the videos!

I'm glad though you plan on writing an article at the end, so this will make everyone happy (except you who will have had a really tough time trying to make everyone happy !!!) :P
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

By the way, I renamed all the videos to make the title more descriptive, the "part 1 / 2 / 3" was starting to be more of a hindrance than actually be helpful :)

"Upgrade Time: Encounter (part 7)" -> "Upgrade Time #7: Intro Sequence and Attract Mode"
"Upgrade Time: Encounter (part 8 )" -> "Upgrade Time #8: BASIC Interpreter Performance and Benchmarks"
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

I have not had enough time to go through the series, but that is something I'd definitely want to do. You are making an splendid job here, Dbug, and it is indeed very interesting.

The revamped game looks incredible. :shock:
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

I was late in the viewing of this great series. This is fixed now!
Very good job Dbug (as usual). There are always a lot of things to learn!
Funny to discover the DOKE and DEEK commands! I did not know them. Yet they seem to be present (or their equivalent) on many machines!
Shame on me!

I also missed the links to the SVN repository in the YouTube description (I watched the videos directly from this thread.)!
Thanks for that:!

And nice name for the improved game ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Hey DBug - because of your inspiring series, I've started an "Upgrade Time:" project of my own - I won't tell you what it is yet, but basically I've decided to follow in your footsteps - I've selected a nice BASIC program from the 80's that's inspired me, and I'm now going to add some advanced features to it, just like you .. so, just thought you'd like to know, stay tuned .. ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

ibisum wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:25 am Hey DBug - because of your inspiring series, I've started an "Upgrade Time:" project of my own - I won't tell you what it is yet, but basically I've decided to follow in your footsteps - I've selected a nice BASIC program from the 80's that's inspired me, and I'm now going to add some advanced features to it, just like you .. so, just thought you'd like to know, stay tuned .. ;)
Cool, looking forward to it :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Due to real life interferences (I'm on call for the next 5 days at work, and next weekend I've to attend some family celebration), the next episode of Upgrade Time will be delayed (and probably the next one as well), so here is a teaser to let you patient:
leaderboard.png