Development of Blake's 7 (was OASIS development)

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Chema
Game master

Re: OASIS very very early alpha tech demo

Post by Chema »

Alright, did a quick test borrowing a graphic and throwing in some colors just to test things. I could edit the room, found a couple of bugs and one or two things I need to improve in the editor and also a bug in the engine in OASIS.

Appart from that, I have to re-build some graphics that accidentally are using black ink and colored paper instead of the other way round.

And I now have a good testbed to continue development. Here is an screenshot, but please beware it is not intended to be good looking, just useful. Oh, and ignore those ugly bands at either side of the picture: they will not be there in the final version (hopefully).
2015-12-01.png
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

clap clap clap

nice pic :!:
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Chema: you are just crazy :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Well, the pic is not mine. I just imported it and put some AIC colors for testing. It is the entrance of the Mansion in Maniac Mansión. It is good for aiding in implementing things such as zplanes, testing walkboxes and it also has stairs.

Was good for detecting small things to improve in the editor and spotting a couple of bugs in OASIS.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

As if waiting for the latest Star Wars was not exciting enough, now we have this!
Wonderful!
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Chema: so in 2 weeks Maniac Mansion is finished, 1 week after you will have IJAFOA finished, then Day of the tentacles, and to finish in a single game, the three Monkey Island, that's right ? :D
polluks
Pilot Officer

Post by polluks »

Please add light pen support, this feature is just waiting for you :)
cc65 development
Oric Atmos + Cumulus
Acorn Electron
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

polluks wrote:Please add light pen support, this feature is just waiting for you :)
That would force him to seriously alter the graphics: Light pen does work by detecting light intensity, which means it will not react at all if you target a black of blue area.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Looks amazing .. although I was never a huge fan of these kind of point 'n click adventures, I'm sure looking forward to playing what you come up with on the Oric! Amazing times ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:
polluks wrote:Please add light pen support, this feature is just waiting for you :)
That would force him to seriously alter the graphics: Light pen does work by detecting light intensity, which means it will not react at all if you target a black of blue area.
For having worked with the light pen on real hardware, it actually didn't react (at all) on red colour. The rest was reacting (except black of course). I can't recall if blue was very handy though.
And worse: it won't word on LCD screens...
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Lightpen would not work well on this (as has been stated). However mouse and joysticks will be supported. I hope.

There are some times in which the development work produces little visible results even when relatively good advances are obtained. The last days I worked on routines to load a room from a resource, creating the local objects and setting everything up. I also worked on how objects are loaded into the game, how they are added to the drawing queue, adding extra flags and fields that were necessary.

And I also included some basic routines that alter how a new room is displayed (with some kind of curtain effect, left to right or right to left to begin with).

Some code reorganization and bug solving later I have a new version of the engine which is 1K larger and inits the game as expected: loading script 0 and running it. From this script the first room is loaded, displayed, the camera is panned and then set to follow the Ego, which is set as Object 0 (boy). Changing the ego is easy and let the player manage other characters if the designer wants.

You'll see I also improved the scrolling in this video:
https://youtu.be/8X57xr6rnGk

I have some routes to follow from here now, but each one has its own obstacle. I need to start working on the full script language, but that implies working on a kind of compiler or writing test code will be a nightmare. I also need to work on the way to include masks for that elements that shall be drawn in front of the characters (such as the fence of the house if the user walks near the windows). This means adding a way to edit these masks in the editor and also a way to do the actual masking, which is not something trivial to do efficiently and supporting scans which have been set in INVERSE mode. I also need to start working on loading things from disk, but that is even more difficult, and needs some careful designing...

So many things to do yet, but progressing adequately :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I now know for sure that Maniac Mansion will be ported to the Oric :D
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Very cool! With little imagination this large scroll can be Oric's 360deg Streetview ;).
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Dammit. You, sir, are a genious for sure !

I can't wait to play with this, and maybe write a game myself using your tools.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Amazing. :)