Oric Tracker

Probably the most technical forum around. It does not have to be coding related, or assembly code only. Just talk about how you can use the AY chip to do cool sounding things :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Oric Tracker

Post by Godzil »

Does someone know if there is a tracker for the Oric, especially for the AY PSG?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

There are many Oric trackers, some using pure sound chip, some allowing digital instruments, and most of these have been made by the same person, Twilighte.

There's at least:
- Mused
- Sonix (multiple version)
- Wave
- Soundtracker

You can find some here:
http://twilighte.oric.org

You could also check the Audio Tools forum section:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewforum.php?f=15
(One of the topics is about Wave)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Dbug wrote:There are many Oric trackers, some using pure sound chip, some allowing digital instruments, and most of these have been made by the same person, Twilighte.

There's at least:
- Mused
- Sonix (multiple version)
- Wave
- Soundtracker

You can find some here:
http://twilighte.oric.org

You could also check the Audio Tools forum section:
http://forum.defence-force.org/viewforum.php?f=15
(One of the topics is about Wave)
I wonder why I didn't check the audio tool forum :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Godzil.

I have no experience with Mused or Sonix, but I recall they are quite advanced and compact in memory usage, though I am not sure they can export your music to be used inside your own programs.

I used Wave 1.01 (which is a marvel) to produce the music in 1337. It is very simple to use, though it lacks some features that would have been nice. For instance control over the volume is not very powerful and I think it cannot use samples (though I am not sure).

Wave 2.0 includes more features, but I think Twilighte never produced a compiler for it to export the music.

The drawback of Wave is the size of the music data, which quickly grows when you start adding nice effects.
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

Chema wrote:Hi Godzil.

I have no experience with Mused or Sonix, but I recall they are quite advanced and compact in memory usage, though I am not sure they can export your music to be used inside your own programs.
Mused was simply a music sequencer. The music was not split into patterns, events and effects but was a simple list of 3 channels lines.

Mused was used in many of my early BASIC games like Zebulon.

Sonix came in a variety of different versions, the most common i think was 3.5
Sonix was the first music editor to copy the Spectrum's tracker format of Patterns, Events, Ornaments and Samples (Volume envelopes).
Later versions supported Real sound Samples

Music from 3.5 and 4.0(Sound Samples) could be compiled using a separate compiler and integrated into your own programs which could be in BASIC or Assembly.
Sonix music was used in most programs and games from 1993 to 1998 including Magnetix.
Chema wrote: I used Wave 1.01 (which is a marvel) to produce the music in 1337. It is very simple to use, though it lacks some features that would have been nice. For instance control over the volume is not very powerful and I think it cannot use samples (though I am not sure).

Wave 2.0 includes more features, but I think Twilighte never produced a compiler for it to export the music.

The drawback of Wave is the size of the music data, which quickly grows when you start adding nice effects.
I fear you may be right for Wave 2.0. It had to do with problems trying to compile Samples into a finished compilation.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I really wish we could get the DrumEd program revived again .. I remember playing with it a lot in the 80's and getting some really wicked sounds out of my Oric. I'd love to do that again ..