Tendre Poulet - used AIC?

The Oric video chip is not an easy beast to master, so any trick or method that allows to achieve nice visual results is welcome. Don't hesitate to comment (nicely) other people tricks and pictures :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Tendre Poulet - used AIC?

Post by ibisum »

Hi,

I've just been going through some of the Oric long play videos and discovered "Tendre Poulet" - to me it looks like this game used AIC in 1984?

Could we have had AIC sooner, if only we'd been paying attention? To me it seems some of the techniques that Twi was developing for Wurlde were already on show in this game .. how intriguing! Is this a HIRES game, anyone know? It seems like the author had discovered techniques for doing some pretty fast, pretty colourful bitting - at least a bit more fluid than attribute-clashing TEXT mode. How's it working here, anyone know?
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Tendre Poulet - used AIC?

Post by Symoon »

At a small scale, Xenon-1 did too: look at the meteors.
Or the lava in the spider level, in Zorgons Revenge.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

It's not AIC, it's just using odd and even lines for different combinations of paper and ink, other games did that, like Psychosomething.
Let's call that AC.

The important part of AIC is the I: Inverted, it's selecting specific colors for each odd and even ink and paper combination so when you use the Inverse bit you get some interesting complimentary colors, the best example is Pulsoids

http://www.osdk.org/index.php?page=arti ... T9#title17
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

The loading title isn't AIC? Also, the head of the chicken?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

In general for these things the best is to not look at videos but directly go on oric.org and get the 240x224 screenshots, get them in a painting program and apply a 6x8 grid on the top and zoom.

https://www.oric.org/software/tendre_poulet-1132.html

The title is using alternated colors:
- CYAN and BLUE paper for the background
- Some GREEN, YELLOW and RED interleaved INK colors to do some gradient
definitely nothing special there

As far as I can see, the only inverted use are the small purple and white flowers on the ground, made by inverting the green and black normal color.

The chicked itself is just:
- Two scanlines of RED ink for the crest
- Two scalines of WHITE ink for the head
- One scanline of YELLOW for the beak
- Then the rest is WHITE and a tiny bit of yellow and black at the bottom for the feet

If things are moving per pixel horizontally, it can't be using AIC: The invert bit is applied to an entire set of 6 pixels on the column where it applies, that's why AIC works only on things that either don't move, or move by steps of 6 pixels
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Great explanation, thanks .. and you're right, I probably could've just stepped into the debugger, but I guess it was a mater of natural (local) circumstances prec-loo-ding the effort. ;)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Psychiatric.
There's also other examples like the loading screen to Loriciel's Tic Tac. OK, it's not the actual game itself.
The intro screen to Psychiatric also have some interesting use of colours.

Using alternate colour lines was known about but tended not to be used on the playing area. I can't think of any UK games apart from Xenon-1 that used it. That was an exception because it was written on the BBC computer, not the Oric.
Some games like The Hellion use some cross hatching, but for the most part it was borders and title screen rather than in the actual game.

The Colour Chart program goes back to 1984, I think , though this is my modified version from 1999.
I still get impressed by how they managed to avoid any colour clash.

0 HIRES
1 FORG=1TO7
2 CURSETG*30-1,0,1:DRAW0,199,1
3 CURSET0,G*25-1,1:DRAW239,0,1
4 NEXTG
10 FORY=0TO7
20 FORX=0TO7
30 CURSETX*30,Y*25,3
40 FORC=0TO11
50 FILL1,1,X+16:FILL1,1,Y+16
60 NEXTC,X,Y
90 PRINT