Upgrade Time: Encounter

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Time: Encounter

Post by Dbug » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 am

No you have not missed that, I did not speak about it, it's just the tools I'm using:
- "Sublime Text" for the text editing
- "Beyond Compare" for all the diffing
- "Paint Shop Pro" (8 or 9) for the graphics

None of these are free software, but I bought the licences a long time ago, and they work well for me, that being said the OSDK does not really care, as long as you can save good old text files and png images, it just works :)

Regarding the BASIC syntax coloring, it's just a quick hack that does not work very well because most syntax coloring systems expect tokens to be separated by either punctuation or whitespace. They don't like things like IFA=BTHENPRINTC!

Maybe I should do a few videos on how to use the OSDK, pictconv, filepack, etc...?

Chema
Game master

Post by Chema » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:48 am

That would be a great idea, Dbug.

I can tell the OSDK is great and can be used with any tools of your choice. I am using Notepad++ with syntax coloring for 6502 asm and C and project (multiple files) handling, but I also used Visual Studio in the past.

In both cases I had/have hotkeys to build and launch Oricutron which automatically loads the program, has the correct symbol file for debugging, etc.

For the graphics I use windows Paint :) or Gimp with a 6x8 grid. Or my own tools...

The only thing that I miss is integrated debugging :) you know, being able to set breakpoints or inspect variables within the editor... but that is just a minor detail.

ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:00 am

I really enjoy getting your updates on this project and am really looking forward to the final result! Cool that you're refining it further too .. very exciting!

peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm

Dbug wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 am
No you have not missed that, I did not speak about it, it's just the tools I'm using:
- "Sublime Text" for the text editing
- "Beyond Compare" for all the diffing
- "Paint Shop Pro" (8 or 9) for the graphics
Thank you so much.

Dbug wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:29 am
Maybe I should do a few videos on how to use the OSDK, pictconv, filepack, etc...?
It would be greatly appreciated really.