A new game..

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

A new game..

Post by peacer »

I didn't give a name and still many things to do but at least playable.

I am planning to add light pen support soon.
game.dsk
(1 MiB) Downloaded 701 times
The game is simple. You might remember it as "Simon says" . The computer randomly selects one of four colour and you have to do the same selection after computer.

Hi-score section is quite primitive. Colour change is not smooth well , I don't know why but it is playable :)
dave3622
Flying Officer

Re: A new game..

Post by dave3622 »

That's a nice version of 'Simon' and like you say is very playable. One thing that would make it easier to play if the keys for the four colours were in the respective corners of the keyboard. For example use 'Q', 'Z', 'O' and 'M' instead of the numbers 1 to 4. This would make longer sequences easier to follow. Regardless, a great first release :)
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

The keys were just temporary solution before lightpen is applied into the game.

I'm planning to make a "pre-game" screen for user to select and define keys or give information about lightpen. Primary key location would be better with your advices. So, game could be playable on real oric too, not only for emulators. Thanks for advices :)

With this game, I got familiar with Twilighte's Hide utility. I compose coloured parts of the game screen with it. Also, Chema and Dbug gave me helps and ideas for colour changing machine code part. This method of changing colors in the screen would let us make better and more complicated games with previously arranged colorful screens. Idea is so simple..
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

I like it! I'm not very good at it but I like it! :)
Agree with previous comments regarding the keyboard chars to use (it's tricky with numbers).
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Nice start !
An idea: maybe displaying the key in its corresponding couloured part (for instance, "1" in the yellow area) would be easier than having to look at the bottom of screen to see the correspondance.
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

In the UK 'Simon Says' is a children's game where you have to do the action. For example, 'Simon says put your hands on your head'. So you put your hands on your head. But you have to say 'Simon Says' or it doesn't count. If they say 'wave your hands in the air' and you do then you are out and the game carries on until someone wins.

The electronic game Simon was named after this game as you have to copy what the game does. People here often call the electronic game Simon Says, but it was always called just Simon.

Twi would be proud of you, Peacer. Keep at it!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Twi would be proud of you, Peacer. Keep at it!
The feels.. :(
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

I overlooked the topic somehow.. Thank you very much. I wish jon was here and I would be proud if he likes the game too. Maybe he could add digitised sound effect with his miracilous talents..

I really missed him :(
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Nice :)

For the digit, well it's not that difficult, the biggest issue to the quality/size factor.