Comparison of EG waveforms between emulators and Real Oric

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Twilighte
Game master

Comparison of EG waveforms between emulators and Real Oric

Post by Twilighte »

I booted up the Oric and entered the following program..

Code: Select all

10 FOR A=#BFF0TO#BFF6:REABB:POKEA,B:NEXTA:DATA162,224,160,191,76,134,250
20 FOR A=#BFE0TO#BFED:REABB:POKEA,B:NEXTA
30 DATA 0,0,0,0,0,0
40 DATA 0
50 DATA 127
60 DATA 16,0,0
70 DATA 9,0,10
First of all line 10 sets up this short asm routine..

Code: Select all

ldx #$E0
ldy #$BF
jsr $FA86
Then line 20 sets up the sound back in BFE0.
Lines 30 to 70 contain the AY registers but we're only concerned with the last line (70). The sound is set up to generate a Triangle waveform on Channel A and at pitch 9.

I then duplicated the same program on Oricutron and Euphoric (under dosbox) and these were the results..

Oricutron 0.5 is perfectly in tune with Real machine

Euphoric 1007 under dosbox is at a lower pitch than the real machine.

Euphoric 1007 not under dosbox is at a lower pitch than the real machine.

Caloric 0.1 plays a pitch way higher than any of the above emulators

All emulators under Windows XP Media Centre Edition

Also to note is WAVE(all versions) are also one unit lower than the actual value sent to the EG Period regisrter so for the above code one would place 08 in the EGC column instead of 09. This is a fault of WAVE :(
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Twi... very nice test.

If I understood correctly then:

1/ Do I have to change the values sent to the EG in my 1337 tune to actual value -1?

2/ Will this make the music sound right in real machines and in Oricutron, but not in Euphoric?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Re: Comparison of EG waveforms between emulators and Real Or

Post by Xeron »

You know, I started reading this post and my heart sank because I thought it would be yet another thing that needs fixing on oricutron..

but now i love this thread ;-)
kamelito
Flying Officer

Re: Comparison of EG waveforms between emulators and Real Or

Post by kamelito »

And we love Oricutron :)

kml

PS for the tape issue I was wrong, I forgot to do the CLOAD"" after the insert :(
Xeron wrote:You know, I started reading this post and my heart sank because I thought it would be yet another thing that needs fixing on oricutron..

but now i love this thread ;-)
/kml
skype pseudo : kamelitoloveless
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

As a musician, I'm very happy to hear this .. ;)

I noticed that there was a pitch difference between Oricutron and a real Oric last week - but it turns out to be because the Touchbook (which is my main oricutron machine right now) was running audio at 48khz rather than 44.1khz .. so now that this has been confirmed to be a non-issue it helps me debug the Touchbook build ..
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

ibisum wrote:48khz rather than 44.1khz .. so now that this has been confirmed to be a non-issue it helps me debug the Touchbook build ..
I really should add the audio frequency to the config file...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Not such a useful option, more of a dodgy setup in the OS of the Touchbook, really ..

Anyway, just wanted to let you know I added sorted-entries to the SDL file requestor.. was driving me mad trying to scroll through a non-sorted list so I quickly added it. Hope you don't mind such trivial commits, if so I'll stop making them, but after all, it does make things a little easier to navigate ..
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Not such a useful option, more of a dodgy setup in the OS of the Touchbook, really ..
Yeah, but if the touchbook is configured to 48khz, you could configure Oricutron to use 48khz too
Hope you don't mind such trivial commits, if so I'll stop making them, but after all, it does make things a little easier to navigate ..
No problem! In fact, I actively encourage this kind of improvement. Please feel free to make more. Especially in the fallback SDL file requester, since the ports I actually maintain no longer use it.

I may tweak it to preserve the directory / file split and ensure that the parent psuedo-dir stays at the top, though.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I may tweak it to preserve the directory / file split and ensure that the parent psuedo-dir stays at the top, though.
Already done! :)