16k Oric-1

Comments, problems, suggestions about Oric emulators (Euphoric, Mess, Amoric, etc...) it's the right place to ask. And don't hesitate to give your tips and tricks that help using these emulations in the best possible way on your favorite operating system.
Symoon
Archivist

16k Oric-1

Post by Symoon »

The question may be stupid, but does Euphoric or any other emulator emulate the 16k Oric-1 model ?
I'm curious, I have never seens the "xxx bytes free" boot screen corresponding to a 16k model...
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That's a good question, I checked in the manual and in the historic.txt, could not find anything related to that...
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Well, after reading this thread, I added a 16k option to oriculator, but I can't find a memory map for the 16k oric-1. I tried various memory layouts, but nothing booted. Does it have a different ROM?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

the memory layout is indicated in the atmos manual at least; in the annexe 5
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Got it working; subtracted 0x8000 from the video addresses, mirrored the 16k through the RAM area and voila.

I added a win32 build (SVNr15) here:

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/downloads/list
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Cool, that was fast :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Yeah, really nice!

Just curious, how is the disk support going? Also, was sound working?

(/me always looking for another alternative to run his games on)

Cheers
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

To be honest, I havent touched Oriculator at all in months, i've been too busy with work, my degree, and Amiga stuff. The 16k change was a simple one... so...

I still intend to work on Oriculator, but I don't know when I'll have time. The disk support is just hopelessly broken, and to be honest, I don't fully understand how it is supposed to work and I was getting pretty frustrated with it.

If anyone wants to help, I can add you to the google code project so you can submit code. I don't mind if people use code from other emulators, as long as it is portable C code.

Edit: Oh, and sound has been working for ages.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Xeron wrote: I still intend to work on Oriculator, but I don't know when I'll have time. The disk support is just hopelessly broken, and to be honest, I don't fully understand how it is supposed to work and I was getting pretty frustrated with it.

If anyone wants to help, I can add you to the google code project so you can submit code. I don't mind if people use code from other emulators, as long as it is portable C code.

Edit: Oh, and sound has been working for ages.
:( I can't help there... but maybe others could. Oriculator looks promising as an alternative to Euphoric, and we badly need that. Granted Caloric is also there, but I am not sure if something was not working properly... Frankly speaking I currently have some confusion about the features in any of the alternatives. Need to download them and try them again to refresh... That is why I did not remember if sound was working.

Anyway great work! Hope you are able to continue developing soon.

Regards,
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Xeron wrote:I still intend to work on Oriculator, but I don't know when I'll have time. The disk support is just hopelessly broken, and to be honest, I don't fully understand how it is supposed to work and I was getting pretty frustrated with it.
Do you have the part with the multi-rom selection system working, just having issues with the disk controler part, or is the issue also involve the boot process with the controler taking control of the Oric by playing with the MAP and ROMDIS lines?
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Dbug wrote:Do you have the part with the multi-rom selection system working, just having issues with the disk controler part, or is the issue also involve the boot process with the controler taking control of the Oric by playing with the MAP and ROMDIS lines?
The microdisc rom boots, and tries to read from the disk, and its this read that is failing.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Hum, I don't remember how the rom is doing, possibly André Chéramy could help with that, he knows the inner workings of the whole Oric Disk system inside out.

From what I remember there are two ways to do the sector reading routine, one is to poll the registers mapped to the disk controller in page 3 for status like byte read and such, the other being to install an IRQ that got triggered each time a byte is ready.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Xeron wrote:Got it working; subtracted 0x8000 from the video addresses, mirrored the 16k through the RAM area and voila.

I added a win32 build (SVNr15) here:

http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/downloads/list
Wow, cool thanks !
1st time I'm seeing this, quite strange 25 years later ;-)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I would love to know how the disc stuff is supposed to work, and would also like to be able to help with getting it working in Oriculator, so please add me to the list of willing developers.

Getting it working in Oriculator would be good for me, as a project I want to do is to build a hardware microdisc replacement - using something like a microSD card and an AVR or something, to emulate a disk system instead.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Good news! Disk support is a bit better.

Only microdisc is implimented at all at the moment, but enough of it is now working for RANDOS to work perfectly (for read operations).

SEDORIC disks try and read invalid tracks and sectors and don't work. ORICDOS just crashes.

@ibisum
You need a google account. You can use any email address to set one up. Let me know your google account address and i'll add you.