Microdisc controller + Amplibus, do you want another batch? CLOSED LIST.

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Microdisc controller + Amplibus, do you want another batch?

Post by Silicebit. »

List updated and private messages sent. :-)
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
kerkyra2007
1st Star Corporal

Post by kerkyra2007 »

Microdisc controler received in the most professional packaging.
With the box already in my hands it works OK.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazda0qd8s813 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
I have only one problem with the power option.
------------------------------------------
1.- Unset the jumper 5V->33 and use independent PSU for Oric and controller.
2.- Set the jumper 5V->33 and use one PSU to power controller, and through controller, power the Oric too. As Chema said, not use the Oric PSU!!
-----------------------------------------
With option one after pushing the reset button on the controller works OK
with option two the system is not booting at all.
In case ther is no way to boot with the microdisc psu only what is the way to start the system ? first the microdisc and then Atmos or vice versa?
Anyway this was my first ever computer (@1984) and it is very nice to have a disc drive attached to it.
Also one more question the floppy cable is a little bit too long (0.50M) and it is stacked in the box between the drive and the controler. is there any problem with heat there?
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

kerkyra2007 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pm Microdisc controler received in the most professional packaging.
With the box already in my hands it works OK.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xazda0qd8s813 ... 6.jpg?dl=0
Happy the parcel has arrived good.

kerkyra2007 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pmI have only one problem with the power option.
------------------------------------------
1.- Unset the jumper 5V->33 and use independent PSU for Oric and controller.
2.- Set the jumper 5V->33 and use one PSU to power controller, and through controller, power the Oric too. As Chema said, not use the Oric PSU!!
-----------------------------------------
With option one after pushing the reset button on the controller works OK
with option two the system is not booting at all.
The option two works fine in most cases but, There are a few Orics that they don't like the second option. That's the reason why I used a jumper. I think that could be a problem of voltage levels, perhaps you could try with another PSU.

kerkyra2007 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pmIn case ther is no way to boot with the microdisc psu only what is the way to start the system ? first the microdisc and then Atmos or vice versa?
Anyway this was my first ever computer (@1984) and it is very nice to have a disc drive attached to it.
To start the system with two PSU there are not an established process, you can start up the Oric first and after the controller or viceversa, I use the first method habitually.

kerkyra2007 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pmAlso one more question the floppy cable is a little bit too long (0.50M) and it is stacked in the box between the drive and the controler. is there any problem with heat there?
The controller (Rev. H and Rev. H1) is built with CMOS components, scarcely they warm up, no problem with heat.

My recommendations:

-. Use a ribbon cable between Amplibus and controller as short as possible.
-. Use a good quality PSU.
-. The CMOS components are sensible to electrostatics discharges, please be careful when handle the controller and Amplibus. Encloses the controller in a box is the best to handle it.

The controller can handle up to four disk drives, all them can be different sizes, you can have attached to controller one 3" drive, one 3.5" drive, one 5.25" drive and one Gotek with HxC firmware or FlashFloppy firmware.

DS0 = drive A (boot drive)
DS1 = drive B
DS2 = drive C
DS3 = drive D

Any PC disk drive could be valid: A few disk drives tested and ok.
Last edited by Silicebit. on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kerkyra2007
1st Star Corporal

Post by kerkyra2007 »

Thank you for the reply.
I will try your recomendations.
The controller is inside the box recommended from others in the spanish forum.
I think I will order also the box for the amblibus as well sure it looks very sensitive.
Edit : I checked with higher amp 3.0 PSU and still atmos does not not want to boot from the controller. Never mind with two psu's is good as well.
retroric
Pilot Officer

Post by retroric »

laurentd75 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:16 pm Thanks Chema, stupid of me, I shoudl have checked the start of this thread.

The price point seems to be really friendly, that's really very nice of Silicebit, because I reckon it really barely covers the cost of the components:
"The price of controller is 50 euro, and Amplibus 5 euro. Shipping cost (international signed with tracking number for Europe + Greenland, parcel from 100grs up to 500grs) is 9.50 euro, TOTAL = 50 + 5 + 9.50 = 64.50 Eur."

Thanks Silicebit for your hard work for the community, and I'll be exepcting news so I can put my name on the last batch !! :-)

Cheers,
Laurent
Hello SiliceBit,

This is a long time since I read that thread, and unfortunately I think there's been some misunderstanding and it is my fault, because I saw on the other thread that you actually added my name for this batch: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1743

Actually, I was expecting a reply from you at the time I wrote the message quoted above, and while I don't think I received one, the way my resquest was written may apear as though no confirmation was needed. Now, what happened next is, during the course of June, I heard of someone else that was selling a new design of Microdisc controller cards, and as these were available immediately, I jumped on his offer and bought one.

Since I had no confirmation from you at the time, I (quite stupidly) thought it unnecessary to update you here about my situation, and then I completely forgot about this thread.

So... to get to the point: I do have a microdisk card now and won't be needing another one... So I'd like to apologize very sincerely for not notifying you, and ask you to please get me off your list and offer my slot to someone else that may be interested (as I understand there are more people waiting, I hope this won't be a problem). If it is a problem, please advise me and we can find a solution.

Sorry again for the bad communication, I am quite ashamed and hope you will accept my apologies for this !!!

Sincerely,
Laurent
flag_fr RetrOric, aka laurentd75 flag_uk
            GitHub - RetrOric
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I'm candidate! If there is no other with more urgent needs I'll take it "as is" - controller+amplibus.
My reason to want it is that I just printed 2 boxes but have only one controller.
They are so beautiful (I will post pictures in related thread). :mrgreen:
If you put my name on laurentd75's place - I have a proposal:
switch me with jojo073 for his incredible graphics talent :)!
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

laurentd75 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:58 am
laurentd75 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:16 pm Thanks Chema, stupid of me, I shoudl have checked the start of this thread.

The price point seems to be really friendly, that's really very nice of Silicebit, because I reckon it really barely covers the cost of the components:
"The price of controller is 50 euro, and Amplibus 5 euro. Shipping cost (international signed with tracking number for Europe + Greenland, parcel from 100grs up to 500grs) is 9.50 euro, TOTAL = 50 + 5 + 9.50 = 64.50 Eur."

Thanks Silicebit for your hard work for the community, and I'll be exepcting news so I can put my name on the last batch !! :-)

Cheers,
Laurent
Hello SiliceBit,

This is a long time since I read that thread, and unfortunately I think there's been some misunderstanding and it is my fault, because I saw on the other thread that you actually added my name for this batch: http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1743

Actually, I was expecting a reply from you at the time I wrote the message quoted above, and while I don't think I received one, the way my resquest was written may apear as though no confirmation was needed. Now, what happened next is, during the course of June, I heard of someone else that was selling a new design of Microdisc controller cards, and as these were available immediately, I jumped on his offer and bought one.

Since I had no confirmation from you at the time, I (quite stupidly) thought it unnecessary to update you here about my situation, and then I completely forgot about this thread.

So... to get to the point: I do have a microdisk card now and won't be needing another one... So I'd like to apologize very sincerely for not notifying you, and ask you to please get me off your list and offer my slot to someone else that may be interested (as I understand there are more people waiting, I hope this won't be a problem). If it is a problem, please advise me and we can find a solution.

Sorry again for the bad communication, I am quite ashamed and hope you will accept my apologies for this !!!

Sincerely,
Laurent
laurentd75, don't worry, I'll swap your controller to next person. iss, do you want another controller? I'll add you to the list. :-)
Last edited by Silicebit. on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

List updated in first post. McOric, you have a private message. :-)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

iss wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:42 am ... My reason to want it is that I just printed 2 boxes but have only one controller.
They are so beautiful (I will post pictures in related thread). :mrgreen:
I would like to see it! :-)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Sorry, which is the list? There seem to be two ..

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1743

and:

http://forum.defence-force.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1306

.. did I miss my chance?
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Re: Microdisc controller + Amplibus, do you want another batch? CLOSED LIST.

Post by Silicebit. »

ibisum, you are in the LAST BATCH list.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Roger that, over and out. Thanks!
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

List updated.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

List updated in first post. :-)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Shipping cost updated. :(