OricExos - making the impossible

Want to discuss about Demos on the Oric, here you are !
Chema
Game master

Re: OricExos - making the impossible

Post by Chema »

That looks terrific!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yes indeed, it looks great - really looking forward to seeing what can be done in HIRES mode, though .. its going to be interesting to see what can be done about attribute clash in this configuration .. like, if it can be exploited somehow, actually ..
mikeb
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mikeb »

ibisum wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:42 pm what can be done about attribute clash in this configuration .. like, if it can be exploited somehow, actually ..
Think about using even-odd operation based on the column number: While one Oric is emitting PAPER colour (because that byte is an attribute), the other one can be emitting a character/redefined graphic. And then, vice versa.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

What if one Oric outputs just black&white pictures, while the other combine just attributes to generate colors? Certainly it would not make constraints disappear, but no more attributes using picture space and probably more shades.

In any case I find that difficult to use in dynamic graphics. But creating some kind of bitplane mode such as the Amiga, so you have one plane with the background with static colors, maybe even with scrolling, and the sprites are drawn by the main machine over that background with no need for masking?

Maybe just saying nonsense... did not really think about it. Just contemplating the nice colours :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Yes, there are so many possibilities and some of them are really hard to imagine.

Now I want to share that I just succeeded to fix the 4-th Oric!
The problem was very annoying: it refuses to CLOAD anything with the patched UV-EPROM but it works just fine with the original v.1.1 PROM ?!? :shock: After I checked everything, replaced the VIA and all parts related to Tape-In connection, today I changed the DRAM chips ... and magic - it WORKS! The bonus from all the work is that I bypassed the analog part for Tape-In/Out and with current connection it will be possible to increase the transfer speed dramatically. Actually the analog part is used as low-pass filter for the VSync-hack and Tape signal is OR-ed with "open collector" chip (maybe there are other ways to do this but I used what I have available in my chips collection).

So, we getting closer to the final hardware. Please, comment and give ideas - everything will be tested!
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Good news: OricExos works with Microdisc! :D
Additionally small speed-up through tape link. It's time for bigger demo...
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I'm really short on time these days, but could it be possible for us do design several HIRES screen, one for each master/slave, that we could send you to load and then see the result?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

iss wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:24 pm Good news: OricExos works with Microdisc! :D
Additionally small speed-up through tape link. It's time for bigger demo...
Two questions for you:
- Have you found a solution to enable the overlay ram on all three slave machines?
- Is the communication only master->slave, or is there a way (even slow) to send information from the slaves back to the master? (like for example to use a slave as a "co-processor" to do computations)
Symoon wrote:I'm really short on time these days, but could it be possible for us do design several HIRES screen, one for each master/slave, that we could send you to load and then see the result?
I was actually thinking of that: An Exos version of my Oric Slideshow demo could be a quick and nice way to at least showcase the audio-visual capabilities of the machine before starting to think on how to tackle the multi-processor feature :)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Dbug wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:33 am Two questions for you:
- Have you found a solution to enable the overlay ram on all three slave machines?
- Is the communication only master->slave
The communication is only one-way (i.e. master->slave) else I have solution for both your questions. For best results I will order real PCBs which will require about month for production. Actually for 2-way communication only - I think we can make it more simple, but for Overlay enabling hardware definitely we need nice PCBs.

And here is the bigger demo:

I call it tesseract because it's your cube demo but in 4 dimensions - running on 4 Orics with different start-up delay for every one.
PS. I'm working on the capture hardware for clips with better quality.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Wow, very strange, and very nice. Really gives the feeling of a more powerful Oric.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Yes, its indeed looking like a performing beast. I think of the effort to build my own Exos, with every update ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I was wondering about the transportability of the device.

To make it usable, it should probably not fall apart, and having a keyboard would probably also be a good idea.

So I was wondering, why not make it in the style of the old Apple II machines.

Take a Pravetz 8D, cut the bottom and and move the motherboard farther back so there is room on top of it, then assemble the three other motherboards on top, and somewhat make it so there is a "box" that closes all that nicely.

That could look like that:

Advantages:
- Sturdy (heck, it's based on eastern europe design school)
- You can put a monitor on top
- There's enough room inside to put things like an HDMI converter
- The keyboard is good and has a cable long enough so that would work just fine
- It has a built-in PSU

Just an idea :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 pm
Take a Pravetz 8D, cut the bottom
Argh! :|
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Here are some dimensions of 4 Oric stacked:
dimensions.jpg
I agree with Chema - there is no need to cut Pravetz - you can use its keyboard with long ribbon cable (mine works fine with 1 meter cable). Unfortunately, I didn't find a really good connectors for this and it look ugly by me!
BTW, I will send you my Oric-to-USB keyboard adapter (as in the picture above) - it's very nice and there is no doubt it will have good home by you! ;) The only issue with this adapter is that not all keys are on the proper place and this depends on the particular USB-keyboard being used.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

... and here is the video output board with Composite and S-Video:
video-out.jpg
Here is the updated tesseract demo clip captured from the composite output with cheap EasyCAP grabber.