Upgrade Time: Encounter

Want to talks about games you like, would like to see developed on the Oric, it's here.
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade Time: Encounter

Post by Dbug »

And there we go, part four of the series, this time showing how to "animate" the scene to make it react to what you are doing (with limits, we are still 100% in BASIC code :p)

All the files are on the SVN depot:
http://miniserve.defence-force.org/svn/ ... /Part%204/
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

@@Dbug: Thank you for this new video. Great again!

I saw you used -f6 parameter (for PictConv) to convert pictures including those you have drawn by hand.
For these monochrome images, -f6 and -f0 seem to return exactly the same result (as well as -f1!)

Is it always the case for monochrome images?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

It's the case because I stick to black and white, which are the default INK and PAPER value, so all these algorithm basically only need to "put the pixel" without having to wonder about the attribute placements.

That being said, in the previous video, the pictures of the staircase had glitchy colored pixels because I was converting with the SAM conversion mode while having a picture which was not perfectly BLACK and WHITE (it had some hard to see grayish tints).

The reason I used the SAM mode is that I originally converted images found on the web image search, so they were in color.

If I stick to black and white, I should totally revert to the base monochrom converter which is almost instant.

Good point, and it shows that you actually did watch it with attention, thanks!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The fifth part of Upgrade Time is now on youtube:

This time the topic is "how to improve the user experience", so don't expect any new fancy graphics :)

@Scalex: I fixed the -f6/-f0 :)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Cool, I had finished watching the previous ones this week ;)

Stupid question: why did you choose to focus on Encounter, especially?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:00 pm Stupid question: why did you choose to focus on Encounter, especially?
It's one of these games I had back in the days, I never finished it because my English sucked, and I thought it would be easier to not get lost if that was a graphical adventure like Doctor Genius. (I even spent a bit of time during my summer holidays doing graphics using CURSET and DRAW!)

So, why Encounter? Well, because it was a childhood fantasy of mine, and also because it's one of the few adventure games which is not in a fantastic universe. There are no daemons, skeletons, evil scientists, dragons, poisoned spider traps, ... and the place is kind of coherent, not a giant nonsense of non connecting places with arbitrary failure conditions.

You can still fail in the game, but it's not like a permanent Damocles sword of Randomness :)
Scalex
2nd Star Corporal

Post by Scalex »

Great job (again)!

The differences between your Upgrade Time: Encounter Redux and the original one are impressive!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Very impressive work - from your demos alone it seems like something that will be quite fun to play, and also .. smooth! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

One thing that is still sorely lacking, is audio.

I'm thinking that it could be nice to have some simple music playing when the title picture is showed, and maybe some simple "foot steps", "wind", "bird chirping" effects on the various scenes?

Not sure how complicated it would be to do a dog growling and barking with a YM, in BASIC :D
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I think it would be rather easy with Twilighte's routines to play a sample sound.
But I can't recall the memory size that such a sound would require.

BTW, if the sound adds delay in the playing, it would be cool to have an option to disable it. Nothing worse than having to wait a few seconds (loading/playing) to hear a sound you've heared 583 times before :lol:
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Symoon wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pm I think it would be rather easy with Twilighte's routines to play a sample sound.
But I can't recall the memory size that such a sound would require.
Nah, I want to stay 100% BASIC.
Symoon wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 pmBTW, if the sound adds delay in the playing, it would be cool to have an option to disable it. Nothing worse than having to wait a few seconds (loading/playing) to hear a sound you've heared 583 times before :lol:
Sound would be 100% optional, and the idea is to have it asynchronous, it should not impact negatively the game experience at all (that's one of the reasons for replacing INPUT by the manual check, you have a loop so you can play whatever you want)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Just for the fun then (I'm very newbie in sound design for Oric), I've tried to make something that would sound like a barking dog.
Not sure it's very convincing, but anyway I tried ;))

Code: Select all

11000 FORI=1TO12
 11005 MUSIC1,2,I,I
 11006 PLAY1,0,0,0
 11010 NEXT
 11020 PLAY0,0,0,0
 11030 WAITINT(RND(1)*35+4)
 11040 GOTO11000
PS: didn't have time to watch your latest modifications, sorry if that's not compatible!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

That's actually not bad at all :D
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Code: Select all

11006 PLAY1,I,I,6
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:18 pm That's actually not bad at all :D
Well thanks, actually listening back to it I don't find it really good ;)
But no idea tonight on how to better it, my mind is busy on boring C code ;)