Programming the 6502 - Rodnay Zaks

Here is the place to discuss about the magazines (CEO Mag, OUM, Rhetoric, Theoric, Hebdogiciel, ... are all welcome here) and books.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Re: Programming the 6502 - Rodnay Zaks

Post by Xeron »

ahh... Guess I just had more spare time than you since 2009 ;-)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yep, I focused more on the my NES emulator than on the Oric one that I started for two reason, Euphoric is really old and there was no real alternative, and I needed to test some part of my emulation engine on another target device, so the Oric was the perfect target :) The Via is nowhere to be finished, the PSG had not even been started, and the ULA is at it's minimum and there is not display, other than a graphical view of the whole memory (it's fun to see colors toggle as the code is running and write into memory) and the ability to display the text screen on the console (worked better than expected)

Maybe one day I will work more on it, but for now it's unlikely. At least I should switch it's 6502 core to my own version (that was under dev at that time) and not the fayzullin that is not very well optimized, mine is somewhat quick as it's name is Quick6502 :) There is, I think only one quirck on timing (missing one cycle in a rare configuration)

One thing that bother me on both project is the use of the Allegro Library, even if I liked it a lot, it's portability is quite hard, and the performance on Linux and Mac OS X was really bad (I often see more tham 40-60fps difference between each OS on the same or similar computers... that too much for an emulator that graphics is too slow and unreliable. I may switch one day to GLFW or something similar as performance seems good with it (and is multiplateforme))

(PS: Yes I started the NES emulator back in 2004... The idea of making an Oric emulator was in 2005 or 2006, can't remmember, and was waiting for 2008 to effectively start working on it.. This is not really efficient :D)
bgpitts
Private

Post by bgpitts »

NES emulator?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yes?
peacer
Flight Lieutenant

Post by peacer »

You can find the scan of the book from Here too.

( the link for the scan from another site is given already in the topic so I bet its not a problem for Dbug?)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Linking to pages that may or may not contain things is fine.