OSDK 1.0 and website

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Dbug
Site Admin

OSDK 1.0 and website

Post by Dbug »

Hi.

I've been working a bit on the new release of the OSDK, which will jump directly from, 0.20 to 1.0 just because it's probably mature enough to be a 1.0.

One of the decisions I took was to also get the documentation on the website so it can be indexed by search engines.

I started working on the new website (temporarily url):
http://oricsdk.defence-force.org

What do you think of that type of structure?

The main difference compared to the older structure is:
- The list of pages is always visible, in the left column
- The right column contains the history for the page/tool being described
- The 'article' section will contain articles about 'how to code on the oric' (external contributions are welcome)
- Each page has a 'disqus' micro-forum so people can ask question/do suggestions on each of the individual pages

Concerning the OSDK 1.0 itself, there's some decisions I will have to take at some point:
- Should I keep Euphoric and Oricutron, or just keep Oricutron and remove Euphoric support
- What of the old tools like WriteDsk which do not work on recent operating system anyway, should I keep them?

Looking forward for feedback :)
Xeron
Emulation expert

Re: OSDK 1.0 and website

Post by Xeron »

I wouldn't remove Euphoric, unless the removal of Euphoric makes maintaining and improving OSDK significantly easier. If it isn't too difficult to maintain support for both, i say do it.
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Your new site is a very good idea.
I'll ready to push articles if my known is sufficient.

For osdk, i think that the best solution is to have a pack with :
- a core design ; ready to compil, link and use with oricutron
- some addendums for experts ; not linked with the core design but in the pack to keep in easy to find : euphoric, writedsk ...

I think that's easier to maintain this core pack with the modern version of tools.
But we'll keep older tools for special tasks or trials to be sure of the good working of devs on real oric & drives.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

The new version of the OSDK is finally available:
http://oricsdk.defence-force.org/index?page=download

Please signal any issue you can find, either in the archive or in the website :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

http://oricsdk.defence-force.org/files/osdk_1_0.zip

Not Found
The requested URL /files/osdk_1_0.zip was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
I've found an issue :P
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Good, you actually tried :)
It's fixed now, will teach me replacing a _ by a . and not checking again.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

out of interest, why does it come with oricutron 0.9 rather than 1.1?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

No particular reason: All I did is to package what was in the existing SVN depot, because I knew it worked as-is.
Trying to upgrade parts would just have meant having more risks to have non working things.

Perhaps Oricutron 1.1 will make it to OSDK 1.1 :)
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

It's good to see this information with examples all in one place. I really like the format/layout (everything is easy to find)

Things I think are missing:

Description of Tap2Dsk and old2mfm
The new pictconv flags (the img2oric stuff) (it mentions it on the download section but the writeup omits the new information)

Agree that latest oricutron should be included ASAP (once you're happy that all the elements of OSDK work with it)

The main website really needs updating (the new OSDK page and the games etc should be accessible from the main defence-force.org page)

One day, I hope to produce a document that details the creation of a single, simple project from start to finish that may help beginner coders get over "the hump". Everything has a learning curve and if we can reduce the steepness of that curve then we may see more software developed as a result.

I think this new OSDK page is a big step forwards. :)
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

This is GREAT news. I think having all this information in a website will improve visibility a lot. And I like the layout a lot!

Need some time to test everything (and download the latest version) but there is something that I am missing... Is the tap2cd version the last one? That one we tweaked for SkoolDaze? It should be much more reliable and should work in modern operating systems.

If this is the case, then I am missing some of the options, namely the -c which would add CRC checking for each 256-byte block. In the SVN depot, along with the sources and binary there is also a readme with all this information.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Great work - makes things very easy to find! Could use more screenshots to soften up the harsh walls of text, maybe thats something we can help with ..
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

So, I published a version 1.1 with Oricutron 1.1 instead of 0.9.

I also updated the website:
- The PictConv page adds the -f6 flag, with four new pictures showing the result of using the img2oric algorithm
- The download page has sublinks for the various tools that point to the correct page on the site

For the rest (mostly dsk/tap tools), I need to check what is actually in it because basically it's tools I maintained for other people but that myself did not use.

Concerning Tap2Wav/Tap2CD I really want one single tool that does both fast loader and normal loader, having two makes no sense, it just complicates things for no reason.
If Chema is ok, I'd like to modify Header.exe to handle the internal name so we don't have to use taptap.exe (which I can keep until you don't use it anymore).

The rationale is to have less tools that do more things, so we have less glue if possible (less tools => less documentation => easier to tell people what to use and how => less work to port to new platforms)

If some of you are ok to write documentation page for the missing tools, go ahead, I can do the formating if you write the content/make screenshots/examples of use.

For the main website, yes I need to do something, but if you have never noticed: If you click on the big Defence Force logo you get an alternate set of links. I never set it as the main one because I did not like it.

My main problem with the main Defence Force page is that I spent way too much time maintaining the french/english language, so if I do a big change I will basically drop the french pages entirely (the page translation tools are usable enough now).
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

A description of a few tools are missing like says barnsey123.

Taptap.exe for instance

Of course, a lot of those tools are self documented like like "taptap" typed a command window without any arguments.

It might be worth to write it in the documentation, I don't know

Good work !
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Of course it is ok with me. After all I did some hacking to get the disk correctly built on the first place, and making it easier would be perfect.

Mixing tap tools is a good idea. And simplifying the creation of a disk with files, name, INIST string, etc. is too!

I would really like to help Dbug, with anything you need. Drop me an email if you wish with what things you'd like me to fill in. The only problem is I am really lacking free time lately. Even I find it difficult to keep a good pace with the development of my game, but I promise to do my best to help.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Dbug wrote:Concerning Tap2Wav/Tap2CD I really want one single tool that does both fast loader and normal loader, having two makes no sense, it just complicates things for no reason.
Just my two cents but - Tap2CD only works for ROM 1.1, while Tap2Wav will work for all. Maybe a reason why they were not mixed.