Microdisc replacement project

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Clarydon have asked for a full parts list and other data (I've asked retromaster if he could send me these seperately).

Watch this space.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

UPDATE

Post by barnsey123 »

The BOM/gerber files (necessary for PCB Fabrication/Assembly - see Wikipedia) have been uploaded to the SVN by Retromaster - these have been sent to a couple of manufacturers in the States and UK. The UK quote should be received later this week. It will be uploaded to the SVN (some quotes may be confidential so best not publish them on an open forum) We have a partial quote from Screaming Circuits in the USA (but as yet it does not cover parts) I'll try to obtain a more complete quote from them so we can compare like with like).
If you know any companies who can do this please send them the right files and let's see what the best deal is. Fingers crossed... :D
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

About the confidentiality, do not forget that WebSVN is enabled, so anything you put on the SVN depot is visible from the web interface.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I will look locally, here in Europe, as well. It is possible that my Hungarian associates can make good versions of these PCB's for a fair price - lots of competition in this market..
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

QUOTES

Post by barnsey123 »

All, I am awaiting quotes from several manufacturers in UK.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

tingo
Pilot Officer

Post by tingo »

Torfinn
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great news indeed!

Now we need to find someone who could build some boards at a good price :)
retromaster
Private

Post by retromaster »

Actually, I am thinking that I might do the manufacturing myself... It looks like the Turkish customs policies are going to be relaxed again so I can import the parts (possibly with a surcharge). If I do it myself, it's going to be slow, but it's certainly going to be cheaper than getting it manufactured in the west. I am estimating that the price will be around $120 per Cumulus+CumuluBus set.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

That's great news indeed!
For Euro Zoners, 120$ is (at this day) about 85€, and I guess some shipping cost.

Retromaster, if you finally decide to produce a batch of Cumulus but need further testing before, or want it to be demoed at an Oric meeting, I think there several volunteers around :)
retromaster
Private

Post by retromaster »

Shipping won't be a problem, since post office shipping with tracking is quite cheap from Turkey to all around Europe.

And yes, I'll probably put a couple more boards out there for testing and demoing before actual sales. We'll see.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

$120 is a great price.
I'm definitely going to buy one, and if you have some more remaining after that I would definitely buy a second one as backup if anything wrong happened to the first one (it's not like it was easy to get a SD card interface for the Oric in first place!)

I'm going to the Kindergarden Party in November, hopefully with a working decent demo. At Solskogen there was some people interested by all my Oric stuff, so if you can have a demo unit done by that time I could definitely show the product and see if some people are interested.

I already know that Britelite (a C64, Amiga and now Atari demo coder) has shown some interested in making Oric demos, he bought an Atmos and all he needs is a disk interface. They're definitely customers out there :)

Thanks for the great work!
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Great news...and yes, definitely cheaper to make it in the East...
If RM can make it work on his Oric-1 then that's a few more units sold.

@Retromaster: Does this mean that the BUS card no longer has to be plugged directly in the back of the oric? Could we now make it as one card?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

barnsey123 wrote:@Retromaster: Does this mean that the BUS card no longer has to be plugged directly in the back of the oric? Could we now make it as one card?
That's a good question :)
Having a single board would definitely be more practical, and imo it does not really matter if the cable is quite short (on my Atari ST the "UltraSatan" has a cable which is about 15cm and that's more than enough).
tingo
Pilot Officer

Post by tingo »

For around USD 120-ish, I'm interested in one. :)
Torfinn