New Os and sdcard/usb key reader

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
jede
Flying Officer

New Os and sdcard/usb key reader

Post by jede »

Hello,

It's time to release my work started in April 2016 :)

A new OS 'orix' and some hardware extension to read FAT 32 key : It means that we have now a "harddrive" on the Oric.

The extension works on the atmos and telestrat. For telestrat, it needs only the extension and a 3 banks cardridge. For the atmos, it need a new card (or a special rom and the usbkey card reader) which will be released in few months (an atmos to telestrat converter : 2 joysticks/mouse port, cardridge readers, a second 6522 and a sdcard slot, usb slot (for usb key)). But Oricutron supports this so the code can be built on the emulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He5lOz2qHBY

Next step this week :

* pull request to cc65 (because cc65 primitives are done)
* pull request to Oricutron (because emulation is done too).
* releasing the special site (done, but require some update)

If someone want to help, let me know ! It's not finished, but others stuffs will be released at the next ceo meeting :)

fread/fopen/fclose/argc-argv are working

Specials thoughts to Twilighte who asked many years ago to have this interface, i am a bit late, but it's done, Times of lore story book is working, and stormloard too on this interface.
And specials thoughts to Claude S. who wrote many electronic informations in ceomag (it was very helpful for this project)

Thanks to Thierry B. for his help, and his patience :)
Last edited by jede on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: New Os and sdcard/usb key reader

Post by Symoon »

That was an amazing demo at the Oric meeting in Paris last Saturday!
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Even i'm not sure i understood all the informations jede give us, i was very happy to learn those things at the visu and to see that we'll be able to have our orics in a new world.
Thanks to jede and all these devs
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Looks fast :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

How are you going to address the USB port? I fear you underestimate the difficulty for that. Don't expect to have a driver on the oric itself for that, it will not be possible.

I see a chinese chip CH376. Thats a bit of cheating but ok
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Godzil wrote:How are you going to address the USB port? I fear you underestimate the difficulty for that. Don't expect to have a driver on the oric itself for that, it will not be possible.

Hello,

The chip manage USB mouse, Joystick, keyboard etc, but i don't need that because Oric has keyboard and joysticks port and mouse (you can plug an atari/amiga mouse, it needs to write drivers). The chip manage USB port AND sdcard.

This chip is used on amstrad cpc, Aquarius and others 8 bits are working on this chip too.

If this chip is cheating, what about Cross dev, emulator, PC for electronic schema, internet, cumulus, hxc floppy etc :) ?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Really interesting! Nice project!

Happy to see things being developed :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

jede wrote:
Godzil wrote:How are you going to address the USB port? I fear you underestimate the difficulty for that. Don't expect to have a driver on the oric itself for that, it will not be possible.

Hello,

The chip manage USB mouse, Joystick, keyboard etc, but i don't need that because Oric has keyboard and joysticks port and mouse (you can plug an atari/amiga mouse, it needs to write drivers). The chip manage USB port AND sdcard.

This chip is used on amstrad cpc, Aquarius and others 8 bits are working on this chip too.

If this chip is cheating, what about Cross dev, emulator, PC for electronic schema, internet, cumulus, hxc floppy etc :) ?
The cumulus or the HxC does not use already made chip that do everything for you :p
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Whoa, this looks really exciting! Does this mean we'll have a compiler onboard at some point? Count me as very interested - my Atmos and Telestrats are at your service!
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Godzil wrote:
jede wrote:

Hello,

The cumulus or the HxC does not use already made chip that do everything for you :p
HxC use a microcrontroller, Cumulus a CPLD.
Last edited by jede on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

ibisum wrote:Whoa, this looks really exciting! Does this mean we'll have a compiler onboard at some point? Count me as very interested - my Atmos and Telestrats are at your service!
I did cc65 primitives, but there is no compiler running on the oric. It could be done with this kind of storage. Anyway, i did some code on real machine, and it's a bit slow (mainly with tele-ass and monasm on atmos).

I did a pull request on cc65 github yesterday, i have to fix something to have it merged. I send you the link for more information (pm)
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Congrats! Great work indeed.
I'm expecting with big interest your commit to Oricutron (maybe first at your github fork).
Do you think for some compatibility with any Oric Dos?
I mean something really basic, so old multi-part games which do run-time loading can be played without modifications.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

iss wrote:Congrats! Great work indeed.
I'm expecting with big interest your commit to Oricutron (maybe first at your github fork).
Do you think for some compatibility with any Oric Dos?
I mean something really basic, so old multi-part games which do run-time loading can be played without modifications.
Hello,

I will do pull request for oricutron at the end of this week. Emulation is done for linux, WiN32 and Morphos, but only WIN32 is tested. Morphos should work because it's same emulation than Ace emulator (http://ace.cpcscene.net/en:introduction) because Offset and me had worked together to have this working on 2 emulators (and maybe more).

I did pull request to cc65 yesterday, i have something to fix

Anyway, the oricutron binary is available (i will send you by pm the link) :)

I would like to have it working for all dos, but it requires a lot of work. The third bank is an atmos rom, which could start .tap file but, i did not released yet because i am not proud of what i did. I would like to add microdisc/jasmin primitives too (and mount).

But well, it means that i still have a lot of work : I do software (asm - telemon, orix and tools/C-emulator,tools) and hardware (debug/build) etc, all this project is approximatly 400 hours of work, it means that anybody can help :)

Demoes (except VIP3 because it calls sedoric routine) should work because there is no rom calls. it needs a kind of command like : "#bootsect /dev/fd0" Which could start boot sector from microdisc. Not done :)

Anyway, i added in telemon 3.0 file management : fopen/fread/fclose. It manage usb key, but in the future, it could handle FTDOS/sedoric/stratsed files

I would like to test it on Atmostratgx but we have no news and because i would like to write the OS for 65c816 too. But, i will be happy to have at least one atmostratgx to test my extension, and my code. I am excited because there is a lot of new thing available now (Games from Chema, atmostratgx and others stuffs)

I did some parts in 65C02, but Oricutron does not manage it, so it's a bit difficult.
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

Thanks for the answer - I see new bright future for our Oric ;).
I'll check with jorodr what can be done about AtmoStatGX(65816).
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

jede wrote: HxC use a microcrontroller, Cumulus a CPLD.
Yes and they are programmed by the person who have made the device, not a something that does everything for you like this one (you don't have to handle at all the USB stack, you just need to ask "is something connected?" "i want to read that block" and so one. And I wasn't there to argue, it was a joke on my side. It is clever to use such a chip, that what my original point was about, USB would virtually impossible to manage on the Oric side without something between to handle it, and this chip does not even need you to program it as it is already done for you