Announcing... the AtmoStrat !

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Announcing... the AtmoStrat !

Post by Symoon »

Euphoric wrote:I don't think that it would be possible to have the same kind of doubled resolution that existed on the Atari ST
Wasn't it the Amiga? ;) Interlaced mode or something like that...
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I just want to say this: WOW!

And, if there is a chance to fund the production of a PCB, I'm all in. I have a couple of old non-working Atmos' that I could use for an AtmoStrat, and have no problem doing the upgrade myself as long as there is a bit of trivial hand-holding along the way.

Please let us know the moment we can pay for an AtmoStrat PCB, and put me on the list, along all the pro guys, for a PCB if there are any available .. whatever the cost! :)

EDIT: ALSO! Are there any demo Video's available? Now that the cat is out of the bag, maybe one of you guys can give us a nice video demo?
ThomH
Flying Officer

Post by ThomH »

I'm well behind the time but, if it's of any help at all, the only difference you'd need to make in video output to produce interlaced graphics rather than progressive is to ensure that every other vertical sync ends halfway through a horizontal line. So it'd either need a ULA modification or some wodge out the back that listened to the ULA's sync enough to know where it is in a frame but then generated its own sync for onward signalling. Not clean options.

(On a classic CRT, horizontal and vertical act completely freely of each other and scans aren't horizontal, they have a slight downward diagonal as they go from left to right. Triggering a vertical retrace halfway through a line ensures that the raster starts again halfway through the top line. Triggering at the start of a line ensures that the raster starts at the start of the top line. Then because scans are diagonal, the one set slots in between the others.)
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I need to send my preview copy back to George. It isn't working :( For me the 5V power supply requirement is a problem. You can get all sorts of power supplies on Ebay but 5V ones are like hens teeth. I have an old PC power supply I use to power my disk drives for the Oric. That can be used but getting a PC power supply isn't cheap, so I think it's a bit of a problem.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

Steve M wrote:I need to send my preview copy back to George. It isn't working :( For me the 5V power supply requirement is a problem. You can get all sorts of power supplies on Ebay but 5V ones are like hens teeth. I have an old PC power supply I use to power my disk drives for the Oric. That can be used but getting a PC power supply isn't cheap, so I think it's a bit of a problem.
Hello, i think that 5V is the best psu. Because, it's available everywhere : The PSU of any smartphone has a 5V (USB is 5V). The main problem is probably the choice of the connector, i don't know if the adaptor exists somewhere
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Indeed, a micro usb connector is probably one of the best possible way to get a reliable 5v input.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I used a charger that I think was from a laptop. It didn't work. It's a bit ad hoc thinking any old thing will work.

I don't have a spare phone charger that I can hack up and I don't know what the wiring is even though I can use a soldering iron. Most people don't seem to want to make their own cable so they aren't going to solder a plug on their phone charger.
jede
Flying Officer

Post by jede »

You should not use a laptop psu because these psu has 15V maybe 19V.

This adaptator should do the job.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Female-micro-U ... B01AE1P4H8

For PSU, i don't know what amperage, atmostrat gx needs. But PSU for raspberry pi should work (We can found 3A or 5A for 10 euros).
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I bought a 5V one especially .
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

jorodr
Flying Officer

Post by jorodr »

The PSU connector is the same as in the original Oric. There is a lot of 5V PSU-s on the market with this usual connector. I'm using quality 5V 4A PSU form TDC similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=5V ... V&_sacat=0
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

???
0 results for TDC 5V

I couldn't find any a while ago there seem to be a few now. Anyway, it doesn't work so a power supply won't help.
I'll need to find something safer to send it back to you.