OricMouse

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Godzil
Squad Leader

OricMouse

Post by Godzil »

Hi everyone :)

I've started working on the OricMouse Project, and it's getting a good shape :)

I'm currently working on the PCB design, and here is a sample of what it currently looks:
OricMouse_Puurrrple.png
The OricMouse project started from an Idea on the Oasis discussion topic, where a mouse for the Oric would may be handy for Adventure game, and lots of other things :)

So here is the basic properties of the OricMouse:
- Powered by a Parallax Propeller
- Provide 2 PS2 port, compatible with either mouse and keyboard
- Provide 1 ADB connector (old Apple connector for mouse and keyboard, and more)
- Firmware upgradable from the Oric
- Also the firmware can be temporarily changed on the fly by the Oric
- Extension port to add more features
- A real Reset button on the PCB!
- Mounted 90 degrees from the Oric
- Passthrough of the expansion connector (so you could plug a Cumulus, Microdisc, Jasmin, .... after it)
- Does not need an AmpliBus
- Open Source
- All made of Through-hole component so easy to solder

- And I hope cheap (will try to make is lower than 40€)

What is does not:
- Emulate a floppy disk
- Provide an external ROM
- Work as an AmpliBus

As the firmware can be changed on the fly, it allow lots of possibility, as, the Expansion port could accept lots of different hardware, compatible with of course (Ethernet, Wifi, RS232, ...) and the 3 DIN connector could be connected to something different from the original intent, there are a few limitation on them, but it's not impossible to repurpose.

My main concert right know is to not cover the RGB connector, it will, in the current form hide the printer connector, but I don't think it's a big issue.
Can someone give me the size (in cm or mm) between the leftmost pin of the expansion connector and the edge of the RGB connector?
I don't have access to my Orices right now so I'm unable to get the lenght of that.
Symoon
Archivist

Re: OricMouse

Post by Symoon »

Godzil wrote:Can someone give me the size (in cm or mm) between the leftmost pin of the expansion connector and the edge of the RGB connector?
It's between 51 and 52mm.
Good luck with this project ! :)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Nice idea.
I hope that we'll be able to build one to have a nice package with some modern oric game like OASIS
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

coco.oric wrote:Nice idea.
I hope that we'll be able to build one to have a nice package with some modern oric game like OASIS
I hope too :)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

And Tada!

I still have a few minor modification, but the PCB is now routed! I'm waiting for a few component to come just to be sure (the miniDIN sockets) and I launch the prototype PCB production :)
OricMouse_Routed.png
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

PCB only can already been ordered from OSH Park: https://oshpark.com/users/current

Warning this is the first prototype, I don't even have tested if some components fit correctly as I don't have them in hand! So ordering a PCB is... dangerous for now :D
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

One question. Is it possible that OricMouse is software compatible with the Telestrat mouse? I have no idea how it is handled, but not having to support a myriad of devices would be nice ;)
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Chema wrote:One question. Is it possible that OricMouse is software compatible with the Telestrat mouse? I have no idea how it is handled, but not having to support a myriad of devices would be nice ;)
The problem is that I have no ideas on how the Telestrat handle the mouse TBH, but OricMouse is compatible with the Telestrat (or should be, someone to give me one Telestrat so that I can test with it? :D)

And I think that OricMouse will be much more easier to use (as a developer point of view) than the Telestrat mouse that no one have :o ;)

But I understand your question, and it may be possible to add something to have the Oric Mouse working in a similar way than the Telestrat mouse, but honestly, we should ignore that the telestrat had a mouse.
polluks
Pilot Officer

Post by polluks »

Hi!
ADB also means joystick support?
FYI https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!top ... qbjpUf5Y9Y
cc65 development
Oric Atmos + Cumulus
Acorn Electron
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

polluks wrote:Hi!
ADB also means joystick support?
FYI https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!top ... qbjpUf5Y9Y
Yes it should, maybe not on the main firmware, I have to make it before :D but if it can fit the main, it can be without a doubt in an alternative firmware :)

As long I get my hand on an ADB joystick... :D
Also, it could be possible to make a PS/2 to PlayStation 1 & 2 adaptor, and would need an alternative firmware.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Quick update:

I've ordered some prototype PCB, so things are moving, but don't think that the software will be magically runing in two hours as soon I will get the PCB.. :D
pcb_rev1proto.png
And the sources are available on github (and up to date) here: https://github.com/986-Studio/OricMouse (et a jour)
And you really want, you can order PCBs there: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/KOAZTB95 but remember that these PCB will not come soldered or with components, and more important, I haven't tested the design, and there is currently no software for the board :D
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

Liking the sound of this...mouse, plus Chema's adventure scripting project, plus Cumulus rev 2.... :D
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yup 2016 is promising :)

I'm late on the Cumulus Rev2, I would originally expected to have some prototype before the end of 2015, but a lots of personal reason get into my way, and slowed down me a lot
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

News news!

I've received the PCB last week, and ordered the components after, UPS goofed with the delivery and I received them only today, but look how gorgeous the board is!
IMG_6280.jpg
IMG_6279.jpg
IMG_6278.jpg
I've goofed the footprint of the miniDIN connectors so I cant solder as is, but all the rest is fine, so, good shape :)
I will exhume my Atmos to start testing chatting between the Propeller µC and the Atmos, then once this is working, things should go quick quickly, even if the firmware is not finished, as updating the firmware with this is really easy (and does not need complex tools)
So as soon as I've got the basic thing in the firmware to work, I will make the "final" version of the PCB, including all the fix and problem I will found (I suspect some mechanical problem apart from the miniDIN bad footprint)

The board price will be in the range I've though, about $35 ~£25 or ~30€.

And this board is made to be mounted directly on the back of the Oric, without cable or Amplibus, and it's possible to plug something else after, a Microdisc, a Cumulus or a Cumulus rev2 :)

And Eth/Wlan is completely a possibility as an add-on board there, Once the Cumulus Rev2 is ready to prototype, I will look at that
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Grumbl, some unexpected issues, it seems that both the 6502 and 6522 does not like receiving 3.3V instead of 5V for the high level :lol:

So for know, I have a solution for the /MAP /IOc /ROMDIS /IRQ signals (even if the ROM and ULA seems to accept well 3.3V for /ROMDIS and /MAP, the safer the better)

For the bidirectional data bus I'm still searching for a solution that will not involve non surface mount component. There is one that would solve my problem, but it is a SMC component, and I would like to not have such component on this design