Interested people in controller Microdisc or AmpliBus.

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Interested people in controller Microdisc or AmpliBus.

Post by Godzil »

I would not recommand to do that. Overloading the regulator is not an issue, if will just get hotter and hotter, and the heatsink is even barely enough for the oric itself. There are anyway some internal protection into the 7905 so no risk of killing it.

What will be an issue is the power supply you use.

By the way, unless you use a really modern floppy drive that only use 5V or an HxC, you will need the 12V, so powering from the Oric is useless as you will have other problem, like the fact that the Oric ground is floating, so forcing this ground to another value if the Oric power supply is not properly isoltated, that may provoke some really good Magic Smoke effects.

So option 3 is clearly a No Go in most situations.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Chema wrote:
Silicebit. wrote: 3.- Set the jumper 5V->33 and use the Oric PSU to power the Oric, and through Oric, power the controller. This not recommended because you can overload the internal regulator of Oric.
Buf! Has anybody ever tried this? Anyway you still have to power the FDD with an external source, don't you?
I have tried it, Chema. Of course you need other PSU to power only the FDDs. So, you don't get any advantage with this configuration, (you need two PSUs).

Chema wrote:In my experience the best and easiest solution is: use a external source to power the Floppy+Controller+Oric, set the jumper and put your Oric's PSU in a drawer to avoid any temptation :)
I agree with you, Chema. :-)

Chema wrote:I am not a hardware guy, but having a good 5v power and avoiding the internal regulator, your Oric will be much cooler and happier :)
I agree too. :-)
Oric user since 1984. YouTube
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Godzil wrote:I would not recommand to do that. Overloading the regulator is not an issue, if will just get hotter and hotter, and the heatsink is even barely enough for the oric itself. There are anyway some internal protection into the 7905 so no risk of killing it.
Yes, the 79xx and 78xx series have an internal thermal protection, the problem is the heat generated inside of Oric enclosure. NMOS 6502, 6522 and AY-3-8912 run very hot, if we add more heat to the system, we can experience strange issues (I have experienced this).

Godzil wrote:What will be an issue is the power supply you use.
If you use a low amperage PSU, you will burn it, if you use a PSU of 2 Amps, you have one ampere of surplus, because 78xx and 79xx series are rated at 1 Amp.

Godzil wrote:By the way, unless you use a really modern floppy drive that only use 5V or an HxC, you will need the 12V, so powering from the Oric is useless as you will have other problem, like the fact that the Oric ground is floating, so forcing this ground to another value if the Oric power supply is not properly isoltated, that may provoke some really good Magic Smoke effects.

So option 3 is clearly a No Go in most situations.
Yes, you need a second PSU to power ONLY the FDDs. So, you don't get any advantage with this configuration. :-)
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Hi there: Silicebit, I finally went home and everything seems perfect!
As ISS ponited, excellent packaging, even with two floppies!

I probably won't have time to test before some time, but thanks indeed ;)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

My pleasure, Symoon! :-) I hope you enjoy very much with your controller.

Normally, if you haven't other disk controller (original Microdisc or Cumana board), i send two disks as starting kit, one with Sedoric 3.0 and another one with very good game, but not very well known, Magnetix.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Symoon wrote:Hi there: Silicebit, I finally went home and everything seems perfect!

By the way, I still have your drive Symoon, I will try to have it for the fall Visu, I'll keep you informed!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Godzil wrote:
Symoon wrote:Hi there: Silicebit, I finally went home and everything seems perfect!

By the way, I still have your drive Symoon, I will try to have it for the fall Visu, I'll keep you informed!
Thanks Godzil, no hurry especially if you're using it - this year has very little Oric time for me, once again :-/
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Silicebit. wrote:Normally, if you haven't other disk controller (original Microdisc or Cumana board), i send two disks as starting kit, one with Sedoric 3.0 and another one with very good game, but not very well known, Magnetix.
Very nice from you. Actually, this is not my first controller so I had disks already - so if you ever want me to send them back to you or directly to someone else that bought you a controller, just let me know ;)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

List updated in first post.

@Vyper68. You have a new private message waiting for you.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Symoon wrote:Very nice from you. Actually, this is not my first controller so I had disks already - so if you ever want me to send them back to you or directly to someone else that bought you a controller, just let me know ;)
Don't worry Symoon, reuse it, or you can give it to another person who needs them. :-)
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

@Vyper68. You have a private message waiting for you one month ago!! I'll wait for your response until end of july. If i don't receive a response from you, the controller will pass to the first person in the following list (Pluto63).

Regards.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

Well, Vyper68 didn't answer to my message, therefore I guess he is not interested in the controller. The controller is for Pluto63 now.
Silicebit.
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Silicebit. »

@Pluto63, you have a private message waiting for you. ;-)
Pluto63
Private

Post by Pluto63 »

Replied, thank you.
Pluto63
Private

Post by Pluto63 »

Payment done.