Oric Atmos from scratch

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
iss
Wing Commander

Oric Atmos from scratch

Post by iss »

As I previously wrote I bought from e-bay an "Oric Atmos 48k pour récup".
It didn't work but this was expected. I started to desolder the bigger chips and to test them - all chips are OK!
So I decided to continue the torture (not sure who was the victim me or the motherboard :)) and removed everything!
Here is the result:
oric-atmos-component.jpg
oric-atmos-solder.jpg
My first goal is accomplished: to take HiRes pictures of the empty board.
I scanned it with 1200 dpi and now I have both sides in 2x200 MB files (Windows BMP format).
Linear dimensions are preserved, so pictures can be used as template or for reference.
I think it would be helpful to place them somewhere in public (ideas?)

Next I'll re-solder everything back, replacing some ugly looking parts with shiny new components.
Second goal is: to have a "boutique" Oric Atmos (optionally working :D)

I'll post pictures to show the restoration in progress.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Re: Oric Atmos from scratch

Post by Steve M »

How did you manage to desolder so neatly?
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Hello,

You can open an account on mega or put them in a temporary zone (like free...) before people saved them.
They can be stored definitively on oric.org or defence-force i think.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I can host the files on Defence Force, that's not a problem.
barnsey123
Flight Lieutenant

Post by barnsey123 »

surely this could be used as the basis for a modern reproduction of oric MOBO's (perhaps with a switch to disable BASIC or something)?
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I uploaded the files to: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
They should be accessible for everyone (i.e. even without google account). Both files with preview are the JPG's from my fist post,
the other 2 (without preview) are the ~200MB pictures.

Desoldering was made in "old fashion" way - using usual soldering iron and vacuum pump.
Actually the board quality is surprisingly good! I was bit worried about the thin tracks but they endure well the heat.
Else from one moment the task becomes boring but helps for calming down the stress and meditation ;).
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

iss wrote:I uploaded the files to: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
They should be accessible for everyone (i.e. even without google account). Both files with preview are the JPG's from my fist post,
the other 2 (without preview) are the ~200MB pictures.

Desoldering was made in "old fashion" way - using usual soldering iron and vacuum pump.
Actually the board quality is surprisingly good! I was bit worried about the thin tracks but they endure well the heat.
Else from one moment the task becomes boring but helps for calming down the stress and meditation ;).
The PCB are quite good quality expect for the soldermask which just crack overtime, but this is a common issue on 80's PCB.
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Neat job. I have a lot of trouble desoldering neatly. I've just ordered a new soldering iron. Maybe a need a new noozle for my solder sucker?
I find the copper track can lift off. I tried desoldering braid but that made a mess of the board and didn't suck up the solder very well.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I must confess that the idea of making an Oric this way is very, very appealing! What about converting the BMP's to vectors and tracing everything in a viable format ..
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

I do have a lot of Oric boards sitting around. They have sockets and some chips fitted but could easily be stripped down.

If anyone wants some boards to play with, let me know.