Replic'Oric

This is the right place to discuss on how to implement hardware vsync, adding a VIA or AY chipset, puting multiple roms, or how to design a new flash expansion card.
iss
Wing Commander

Re: Replic'Oric

Post by iss »

Nice work, Godzil!
Here is little wish for mod which will allow to have real reset on board or NMI.
Next week I'll print schematics on large sheets for easy checking.
nmi-reset.jpg
nmi-reset.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 13260 times
iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

And one more thing: What about using (UV)EPROM instead of PROM? I mean pin 27 /PGM - would it work as expected with microdisk in regard of ROMDIS signal?
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I was think on adding something for that, but I don't want to add too much chip for just one gate, it will depends on the solution for the VSYNC
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

I finally have a clear view for the VSYNC hack/relay!

I need to find the correct part, but I will make the Issue 7 schematic quite soon :)

As it was planned originally, if the Oric try to use the tape, and correctly set the relay to

ISS: For the reset, I will add a 2 pin header on the PCB to let people add a reset button is they want to, as I want my PCB to fit in an original One/Atmos case I can add another button, and a button that does both is not a good idea I think ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I would definitely love to see a NewOric be made and would happily get involved in the hardware purchase - its a very cool idea! Imagine if we could get networking in there as well - all the while continuing to support the old Oric software too. Wow, mind-boggling great idea.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

A new issue of the Oric schematic has been released!

I hope to start working on the PCB soon, I'm waiting for external stuff that take long time to come to seriously start on it. But I've done some concluding early test :)

Anyway the new issue is available here:
http://www.986-studio.com/2015/05/07/or ... c-issue-7/

The difference between Issue 6.1 and Issue 7 are at least one major change:
- It no longuer use a two rom socket, but only one. But of course it is still compatible with the original ROM, but also support (EE)PROM and better you can use an EPROM with the double size of a standard 16K Rom! There are even pad to connect a switch to change the used ROM bank! To it would be similar to the 2PROM setup that some use, but in a more simple way :)
- The benefit of this change is that the ~ROMDIS signal has been changed to be compatible with either ROM and PROM.
- The Hardware VSYNC should now work without problem, using the tape relay to prevent error on TAPE Loading. I still recommend a switch on the RGB cable to enable or not the support for VSYNC
- I've also add pads to wire a real reset button. I wont put a real button directly on the board, and just leave to the user to wire one if he want.

That's all for this revision, but it's a major one!
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

That's great news! What do you recommend .. try and get a PCB board made locally, or wait until a few more revisions? Because I for one am ready for my new Oric over-board!
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Great news Godzil! Congrats for your work!!