Telestrat - disk drives were 3.5"?

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Telestrat - disk drives were 3.5"?

Post by ibisum »

Hi all,

Like some of you, I've seen the recent Oric Telestrat for sale on comp.sys.oric, and I've been told by the seller (Fabrice) that it includes a 3.5" disk drive.

My question is this - is this disk drive plugged directly into the Telestrat and used that way, or does it require some other special modifications?

I'm quite interested in buying this Telestrat, as it would possible give me a good platform to continue my Oric disk-drive-on-SD emulator hardware project, but I need to know some more details about what I'm getting into here .. anyone got some clues for me?
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Unlike the Atmos, the Telestrat includes a controller card so you can plug a standard 3.5" drive on it. Initially it was sold with 3" drives.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Probably worth mentioning that it exists two types of Microdisc units:
- Master units
- Slave units

The Master units contains a microdisc controller board, and is necessary on an Oric 1 or Atmos configuration.

The Slave units contains only the 3" disc drive, and can either be used on a Telestrat, or as a secondary drive connected to a Master drive on an Oric 1 or Atmos.

You can control up to four units (daisy chained) with a controller board.

Now the important point: If you (mistakenly) connect a Master unit on a Telestrat, you will most probably damage the machine. Don't do it :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm working out how I can buy this Telestrat now .. hopefully I'll be finally able to experience the Disk-based Oric life soon! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Most of recent games and demos work fine on a Telestrat in default settings, some will assume you have the "ROMATMOS" cartridge.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Great, the ROMATMOS cart is included in the package .. lets see if I can get this machine! :)