Faulty Microdisc

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
kkamara
Private

Faulty Microdisc

Post by kkamara »

Hi

This is my first posting. I have an Oric Atmos and Microdisc from the 1980's and recently dug them out of the garage for the first time in years. Unfortunately, the Atmos will boot on it's own but not with the Microdisc controller plugged in. I just get odd characters on the screen. Any suggestions on which components might be broken would be greatly appreciated. I do have some experience of electronics (BSc Electronic Engineering) but this was a long time ago.

Regards,

Karim Kamara
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Could be almost anything.
Did it work previously? You could try reseating any socketed chips and checking the connections between Oric and Microdisc.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I will buy any faulty Microdisc anyone has to offer! PM me if interested! :)
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Since the Oric alone works fine, we can mostly assume that the whole Oric is ok.

The possible things I can see:
- Damaged flat cable, of some of the signals don't work, it will most probably result in some unwished results.
- Powersupply failing to power enough the Oric and the disk unit, that's good enough to make the system crash.
- Erased or damaged Eprom on the microdisk, since the Oric boots using the content of the Microdisk eprom, if it is damaged the 6502 will not be able to run it correctly.
- Problem with the ajustable resistor on the microdisk board (aka RV1)

All I can see so far.