Oric RGB to CGA monitor

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
lextorite
1st Star Corporal

Oric RGB to CGA monitor

Post by lextorite »

I just picked up a spanking brand new Goldstar 1410-CGA with RGBI.

It has a 9 pin "D" type connector.

1 Ground
2 Ground
3 Red
4 Green
5 Blue
6 Intensity
7 Reserved
8 Horizontal Sync
9 Vertical Sync

I hooked up a C-128 on it with no problems. Now, if I made the right cable, will the Oric RGB work with it?
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

I would say yes : since it is possible to connect an Oric on an CPC monitor (have a look in the forum), the Oric and the CPC should have pretty much the same pinouts.
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

i'm not so sure, that "intensity" pin will have to be left alone and you need to join the sync pins together.

the intensity pin may not like being unconnected.
if it almost works you could link the intensity pin to ground or 5v and see what happens.

the wrong way wil give a dark picture.
mmu_man
Flight Lieutenant

Post by mmu_man »

The intensity pin was used for digital signals to select the brightness of the color, to make 16 colors instead of 8.
If you leave it alone white will look greyish. But if you put it to 1 black will look dark gray...
lextorite
1st Star Corporal

Post by lextorite »

waskol wrote:I would say yes : since it is possible to connect an Oric on an CPC monitor (have a look in the forum), the Oric and the CPC should have pretty much the same pinouts.
The CPC monitor is a analogue monitor while the Goldstar 1410 CGA is a TTL (digital) so going to that discussion did not answer my question.
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

lextorite wrote:
waskol wrote:I would say yes : since it is possible to connect an Oric on an CPC monitor (have a look in the forum), the Oric and the CPC should have pretty much the same pinouts.
The CPC monitor is a analogue monitor while the Goldstar 1410 CGA is a TTL (digital) so going to that discussion did not answer my question.
Sorry...
I think I explained it in such a way you did not understand.

A few days ago, I've asked on the forum if it was possible to use a CPC monitor with an Oric, and recently one answered me that it was straight compatible : Red on red, blue on blue, sync on sync... excet that there are 5 outputs on the Oric DIN and 6 on the CPC monitor (the central pin being useless with the Oric).

So if the outputs of the ORIC and of the Amstrad are so similar that they can use the same pins of the CPC monitor, I just guess that you will have almost the same hooks for the Oric as for the CPC for your Goldstar.

But I would add also that your monitor requires at least a line frequency of 31KHz, and that the RVB output of the Oric, like the one of the Amstrad or any other micro computer sends a 15KHz signal (PAL compatible).

sorry if if you misunderstood
lextorite
1st Star Corporal

Post by lextorite »

The specs from the Goldstar owners manual are:-

H. Scan Freq. - 15.75 KHZ
v. Scan Freq (Which I believe you don't use with a oric) - 60Hz

I know I could hook up up a BBC B and a ZX Spectrum 128 to it no problem. I'll just have to make a straight rgb 5 pin din to a 9 pin d type with ground on 2 pins on the d type and Comp sync to Horizontal Sync.
lextorite
1st Star Corporal

Post by lextorite »

Would I need to hook up the ground pin from the Oric-1 to both ground pins on the monitor?
waskol
Flight Lieutenant

Post by waskol »

lextorite wrote:Would I need to hook up the ground pin from the Oric-1 to both ground pins on the monitor?
That won't hurt : a ground is supposed to be at a zero level reference voltage.
If you did it with the BBC, the spectrum, and the CPC, it will be the same with your Oric.
lextorite
1st Star Corporal

Post by lextorite »

waskol wrote:
lextorite wrote:Would I need to hook up the ground pin from the Oric-1 to both ground pins on the monitor?
That won't hurt : a ground is supposed to be at a zero level reference voltage.
If you did it with the BBC, the spectrum, and the CPC, it will be the same with your Oric.
So it'll be :-

DB9 - 5 Pin DIN
1 Ground - 2 Ground
2 Ground - 2 Ground
3 Red - 1 Red
4 Green - 2 Green
5 Blue - 3 Blue
6 Intensity - Not Used
7 Reserved - Not Used
8 Horizontal Sync - 4 Sync
9 Vertical Sync - Not Used
G Squad
Private

Post by G Squad »

I think you're correct, except that SYNC needs to be connected to HSYNC and VSYNC.

Normally leaving intensity unconnected will give the correct result, as it is pulled high by a resistor, and this doesn't make black turn grey.
lextorite
1st Star Corporal

Post by lextorite »

I've got the lead working now but for some strange reason, the H Sync stays in focus for about 10 minutes and then starts scrolling. V Sync is fine and holding.