Lecteur Jasmin pour Oric

If you want to ask questions about how the machine works, peculiar details, the differences between models, here it is !
How to program the oric hardware (VIA, FDC, ...) is also welcome.
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Lecteur Jasmin pour Oric

Post by musepat »

Bonjour tout le monde.
J'ai depuis pas mal de temps déjà un lecteur Jasmin que je n'ai vu nulle part ailleurs.

Malheureusement il ne fonctionne pas, les fusibles sont OK, mais rien ne s'allume et il n'alimente pas l'Oric.
Dommage, mais je n'y connais rien en électronique, j'aurai pourtant aimé le faire tourner (pour le fun, car mon Jasmin 2 lui fonctionne parfaitement).

Alors si vous avez des infos sur ce lecteur je suis preneur, voici les photos :

Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Lecteur Jasmin pour Oric

Post by Dbug »

First time I see this model :)
And first time I see white 3" drives!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Godzil has this model!
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

Here are some more pics :

Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Yes, Symoon is correct, I have exactly this model :)

I think one of the floppy was white also, but on the two I had at the time only one survived :(

(funily I don't have the metal thing that block the second drive.. And the power supply is no more on mine (also it does not boot currently, but I didn't had time to inspect it..)

Anyway, you seems to have the same floppy drive as mine.

I wasn't rememering that there were also a fuse on the power supply board (there is one also behind)

You should verify both of them.

Be careful on the power supply as the capacitor is quite a big one, also one of the power supply part may have failed, it's quite a primitive one, it could easily broke..

When you power the jasmin without (or with it will makes no difference) the oric plugged, is the drive LED shortly blink?

Try to press the buttons (one is "cold reset", the other one is "boot reset")

Also, you should ear the power supply slightly humming, if it's not it may be broken, try also if you can to read the +5V voltage.

(Also the main board is really fragile, as there is a lots of handmade reworks. Something may have broke..
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

Hi Godzil,

I think it's a problem of the power supply : the fuses are OK, but when I power the jasmin, the drive LED don't shortly blink, and I don't ear the power supply slightly humming.

When I'll have enough time, I'll try with an external power supply.

Regards.
Patrice.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

musepat wrote:Hi Godzil,

I think it's a problem of the power supply : the fuses are OK, but when I power the jasmin, the drive LED don't shortly blink, and I don't ear the power supply slightly humming.

When I'll have enough time, I'll try with an external power supply.

Regards.
Patrice.

Be very very careful with the polarity, as the Jasmin 1 mainboard is not really well made, it won't survive a polarity inversion or a +12V instead of the +5V.

You should try with a PC PSU

If you have a multimeter, you can test the output of the original power supply, but as always be really careful, as there is nothing to protect you from the 220V :/

If by using an external PSU it finally work and you manage to find one that can fit in the case, I will be glad if you can tell us what you use, I'm searching for one to replace the missing power supply of my own Jasmin 1.. (there should exist small PC PSU for ITX computer but I have found one that can fit in the jasmin case..)
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

As for a PSU replacement a friend of mine suggested using DC/DC Converters and a laptop PSU.

DC/DC converters :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1497.l2649

Laptop PSU :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 1497.l2649

It's very small. I haven't done it yet but I plan to do it.
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Bon en francais vu qu'il n'y a que des francais.. :D

En gros le soucis c'est que ce boitier la pour le Jasmin integre un cable d'alim et en bonus un emplacement pour fusible, et ce type d'adaptateur demande soit pour le premier d'avoir deja du 12V DC par exemple, soit pour l'autre de virer le cable existant pour y mettre un socket d'alimentation, et perso je trouve ca dommage.
Hialmar
Flight Lieutenant

Post by Hialmar »

Vu le prix de l'adaptateur secteur de portable tu peux toujours couper le câble 220 V et le raccorder sur le 220 V du Jasmin 1 non ?

Moi c'est pour faire un lecteur de disquette avec ma carte Cumana et un lecteur de disquette de PC dans une boite à chaussures donc l'alim externe me va bien :D
Hialmar
CEO and Silicium member.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Hialmar wrote:Vu le prix de l'adaptateur secteur de portable tu peux toujours couper le câble 220 V et le raccorder sur le 220 V du Jasmin 1 non ?
A voir, pas sur que ca soit tres propre au final, de toute maniere ma carte jasmin ne marche pas (pour l'instant) donc pour l'instant ce n'est pas presse, et j'ai d'autre projet important a m'occuper avant :D

Edit: ha mais attends il y a 3 fusible, 2 sur la carte de l'alim interne, et un sur le boitier?

Wow o_O

PS: musepat vu que tu as demonte la carte controlleur, pourrait tu prendre des photos hires de la carte des deux cote? c'est pour pouvoir comparer avec celle que j'ai sur les nombreux reworks qu'elle contient...
musepat
2nd Star Corporal

Post by musepat »

Je vais essayer de prendre les photos ce WE mais c'est pas gagné (because la fête de la musique et j'y participe :D ).
philou
Private

Post by philou »

Salut Musepat, salut Godzil,

J'ai aussi ce lecteur jasmin (2 lecteurs, simple face).
Il fonctionne très bien, mais il chauffe et les "RESET" sont difficiles.

Le verso de la carte contrôleur

iss
Wing Commander

Post by iss »

I like this military design! :).
Godzil
Squad Leader

Post by Godzil »

Philou, can you also make scan of both side of the main pcb ? (or a photo without the Flash) thanks :)

What you can do is to do like on mine and Musepat jasmin, to add on push button on each hole and solder wire to connecte in place of the original button.

What is fun is that I always thought that this was homemade on my own jasmin, but as musepat have the exact same thing, with the same type of wire I suspect that at some point in the production they add this :D (or both come from the same reseller, but I can't think it's possible :D)