English version of the Hyperbasic for Telestrat manual!

Everything related to BASIC version 1.x (Oric 1 and Atmos) or HYPERBASIC (Telestrat).
Don't hesitate to give your small program samples, technical insights, or questions...
Brana
Flying Officer

English version of the Hyperbasic for Telestrat manual!

Post by Brana »

For the last couple of years I was troubled by the French language version of the Index HYPER-BASIC of the TELESTRAT (because I cannot understand the French language).

Now I have FINALY managed to translate the sucker from the URL:

http://oric.free.fr/TOOLS/Index%20HYPER-BASIC.htm

On to ENGLISH :))

So, if anyone would be interested for it on English language, I am willing to share it with you here or via email attachment.

Best regards
Brana
Yicker
Pilot Officer

Post by Yicker »

Hi Brana,

I'd be interested in an English version of the manual. :D

Cheers
Scott
Brana
Flying Officer

Re:

Post by Brana »

Well now, I have used the AltaVista’s web language translation service to convert the manual from French to English language.

It is simple and very reliable method, only one problem:

When the text is translated, then all the words are translated from one language to another, meaning – the program commands (if any exists) on French is ALSO converted to English language.

Example: BASIC command “CLS” – will NOT be altered in translation and this is OK, but
Name of the DSK file “BONJOUR.COM – WILL BE converted to English to something like “HELLO.COM” and this is an ERROR.

Keep in mind for this possibility of error!

Now, here is an English translation of the manual, and further below is it’s original in French language.

Brana
Brana
Flying Officer

Current English version of the Manual

Post by Brana »

I have removed the translation posted here from before;

Now I have it much better, but now is "too large" to be posted as a plain text,

So I have it in a single Word.DOC file (both English and the French version of the manual).

I hope it will "become" available here, somewere on this post (Thanks Mr.Dbug)

Brana
Last edited by Brana on Fri May 16, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brana
Flying Officer

Current French version of the Manuel

Post by Brana »

Last edited by Brana on Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

AND GOLD {XOR} < >
:)
{ERROR} {SUMMARIZED}

:D
{CLCH} {CROSS-COUNTRY RACE} {CROSSX} {GET ]} {OPCH}
:lol:
Brana
Flying Officer

Re

Post by Brana »

Well I already said that the words in the program - examples are also “affected” and that this could lead to “problems”.

Further more, the WHOLE manual can NOT be translated (noticed the “<<<SNIP>>>” at the end of the previous post)?

I am still working on it! :(
Chema
Game master

Re: Re

Post by Chema »

Brana wrote:Well I already said that the words in the program - examples are also “affected” and that this could lead to “problems”.

Further more, the WHOLE manual can NOT be translated (noticed the “<<<SNIP>>>” at the end of the previous post)?

I am still working on it! :(
Don't get me wrong. It is a very interestig project indeed. I can't speak french neither, and it is good to have someone interested in translating this kind of documentation. Also I understood that a review is needed and that it is a work in progress...

However I couldn't help to laugh at what automatic translation systems often do... Isn't that 'GOLD' for 'OR' translation fun? :)

Anyway keep on with the good work!
carlsson
Pilot Officer

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by carlsson »

Babelfish wrote:NAME OF wholesale ORDER heavy type and GENERAL SYNTAX approximately light-faced letters.
Out of curiosity, what French word here was translated into wholesale? I kind of understand "heavy type" = bold and light-faced probably means regular or italics. :-)

Surprisingly good language in the translation. I have a friend who works with translating technical manuals, and believe it or not, but they use home-grown automatic translation software to cover 80% of the rough translation. Then the translator just proof-reads the text and manually translates any words the program didn't understand or mistranslated badly. The Systran software which powers Babelfish probably is sold to other translating companies too. It is just important to read through the text.
Anders Carlsson
Symoon
Archivist

Re: Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by Symoon »

carlsson wrote:
Babelfish wrote:NAME OF wholesale ORDER heavy type and GENERAL SYNTAX approximately light-faced letters.
Out of curiosity, what French word here was translated into wholesale? I kind of understand "heavy type" = bold and light-faced probably means regular or italics. :-)
The right translation would be something like:
COMMAND NAME in bold caps and GENERAL SYNTAX in regular caps

I'm not familiar with fonts in English so I'm not quite sure about regular. If it means "not bold", then my translation should be correct :)
Brana
Flying Officer

Finally done :)

Post by Brana »

Hello everyone, I have finally managed to translate the WHOLE “Index of the HyperBasic for the Telestrat” computer from French to English language, and I have it in the Word.DOC file format.

Brana
Chema
Game master

Re: Finally done :)

Post by Chema »

Brana wrote:Hello everyone, I have finally managed to translate the WHOLE “Index of the HyperBasic for the Telestrat” computer from French to English language, and I have it in the Word.DOC file format.

Brana
Good news! Congratulations!

Do you plan to put it online or to download somewhere?

Cheers
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Here it is:

http://www.defence-force.org/computing/ ... /index.htm

Managed to find a bit of time to fix the page, and update the "what's new" section as well... first update of 2008 ;)