Integrating BASIC in the OSDK ?

Everything related to BASIC version 1.x (Oric 1 and Atmos) or HYPERBASIC (Telestrat).
Don't hesitate to give your small program samples, technical insights, or questions...
Dbug
Site Admin

Integrating BASIC in the OSDK ?

Post by Dbug »

Since I'm soon releasing a new version of the OSDK, I was wondering if it would not be the right time to integrate txt2bas and bas2txt as parts of the OSDK.

Basicaly this would mean:

1) Possibility to add .BAS files in the osdk_config.bat files
2) Running osdk_build.bat would generate a .tap file as usual
3) Running osdk_execute.bat would launch Euphoric and run the tape file

Basicaly I was thinking about that when this guy few month ago came and asked how to use BASIC on the Oric. Integrating it in the OSDK would mean me adding some additional sample programs, like a 'Hello World Basic', and perhaps some examples on how to integrate assembly code with basic...

What do you think of that ?
Chema
Game master

Re: Integrating BASIC in the OSDK ?

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:Since I'm soon releasing a new version of the OSDK, I was wondering if it would not be the right time to integrate txt2bas and bas2txt as parts of the OSDK.
<ZAP>
What do you think of that ?
IMHO if it is inmediate to do so, then let's do it. If not I don't think it is worth any additional effort. Using C is easy enough for performing most tests and developing programs.

Well, maybe there is some kind of advantage in using BASIC I am overseeing :)

Regards,
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I started integrating the native support for BASIC in the OSDK.
What this mean, is that people using the BASIC language will be able to use it more comfortably:
- Code examples in the sample folder
- PictConv and Bin2Txt modified so they can also output DATA lines
- Possibility to build a TAP program and run Euphoric directly by using the default OSDK_BUILD and OSDK_EXECUTE batch files.
- Documentation page with the list of BASIC commands

I will also try to provide some sample code showing how to call assembly code directly from the BASIC.