Mysterious program

Here you can ask questions or provide insights about how to use efficiently 6502 assembly code on the Oric.
Symoon
Archivist

Mysterious program

Post by Symoon »

Hi, does anyone know what the following program would be used for?
I'm no ASM expert, maybe someone can figure it out quicly here... I'd go for some joystick reading routine but I'm not sure.

Code: Select all

10 DATA#48
 20 DATA#AD,#01,#03,#48,#AD,#03,#03,#48
 30 DATA#A9,#C0,#8D,#03,#03
 40 DATA#A9,#80,#8D,#0F,#03
 50 DATA#AD,#0F,#03,#8D,#00,#04
 60 DATA#A9,#40,#8D,#0F,#03
 70 DATA#AD,#01,#03,#8D,#01,#04
 80 DATA#68,#8D,#03,#03,#68,#8D,#01,#03,#68
 90 DATA#4C,#03,#EC
 100 FOR M=#402TO#431
 110 READ DTA : POKE M, DTA
 120 NEXT M
 130 DOKE#0229,#402
 140 PRINT PEEK (#400), PEEK (#401) : GOTO 140. 
 150 GOTO 140
Thanks ;)
Dbug
Site Admin

Re: Mysterious program

Post by Dbug »

As far as I can understand, $229 is the JMP to IRQ routine in the 1.0 ROM.
The code installs from $402 to $431, store data in $400 and $401 and disassembled here is what we get:

Code: Select all

PHA
LDA $301
PHA
LDA $303
PHA 
LDA #$C0
STA $303
LDA #$80
STA $030F
LDA $30F
STA $400
LDA #$40
STA $30F
LDA $301
STA $401
PLA
STA $303
PLA
STA $301
PLA
JMP $EC03
I'm pretty sure that this routine works (?) only on the Oric 1, on the ATMOS the JMP $EC03 arrives right in the GRAB rom routine.
kenneth
Squad Leader

Post by kenneth »

Hello Symoon
This program reconfigures the 6522 VIA to read the printer port with bit7 and bit6 output mode. I think this is used for a PASE joystick interface.With DBUG explanation I suppose it passes through an interrupt vector to use easier in BASIC programming. :wink:
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Thanks for the replies and explanations guys.
This program was found recorded over Ghost Gobbler on an original tape, seems the author ran out of tapes.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Wow, what a find .. I remember this routine floating around in the mags somewhere ..
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

He he, that's the problem when transferring 35 programs from unknown tapes to PC in one day: got to find out what could be interesting or what can be trashed.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Oh how I wish I had my old Oric-1 tapes to do the same! I had two big fat UTIL tapes, with things like !AUTO !NEW and so on, helpful for those long type-ins and cheesy tape copies .. would love to have those around. As I mostly got my stuff from long-distance post (Australian Oric-1-using 13 year old kid with limited budget), every single magazine that had an Oric listing was, somehow, scrounged .. had all kinds of wild stuff.

Learned my lessons, though .. still got my Atari Portfolio from those days, with its compiler onboard ..

+Edit: I hope you'll continue sharing stuff with us as you find it, even if it seems useless. Very fun!
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

Well, transferring your own old tapes is a real pleasure, but transferring others' personnal tapes is rather a nightmare: many (bad) copies of commercial games (= waste of time except if rare game), programs from type-ins (= possible mistakes, and doubles from someone else's tape), personnal tests, got to find what is worth or not. And if it's worth transferring again in case of detected errors...
A team work would be great, why don't we have our own office where I'd make the transfers and a team of testers would decide if they trash it or send it to the webmasters that would publish it with explanations notes ;)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I suppose the majority of the work is in encoding from the tapes - but if you want to just do a massive bulk conversion of TAPE->.WAV file, and leave the actual analysis to us as a group, I'd be more than happy to help you weed out the gems from the chaff.

As an old Oric-1 user who never had enough software for his machine, having such an archive of "unknown stuff to weed through" would be, in my opinion, an honor and a privilege. :)
highwayman
Flying Officer

Post by highwayman »

indeed - digging through mystery stuff is like buying a lottery ticket - but with decent odd's :D

i got some fantastic stuff from oric tapes and c64 floppy's

i'v NEVER seen any mention of a comercial tape copier called "oricopy" i found (should still have)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I had oricopy back in the day! Honest! My Dad was close friends with the distributer for Oric in Australia (Brian something-or-other .. will never forget staying at his place the first night I got my hands on an Oric) and he had this floating around .. among other things, like the "OLD" command, used to get back the sources for BASIC/Assembly programs that did a "NEW" on quit as a limited form of copy protection.
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

I'm 5 years late but I found Oricopy, here it is! It seems to work on Oric-1 only.
oricopy.tap
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

The story: I had an mp3 in a very old mail, sent un January 2008 by Alan Skirenko - thanks to him years later! I had totally forgotten that, as I sometimes do :?
Here's what Mr. Skirenko said about it: "A long time ago, after an Ebay auction, you asked me to send you a tape, Oricopy. Recently, I bought Tape2PC. With Tape2PC I can create MP3 files from my tapes. So, I give you Oricopy as an MP3 file, attached to this message. In the MP3 file, Oricopy appears 4 times, 3 fast and 1 slow. I hope you can cload it, and that it works for you. Oricopy came without instructions, so you must guess how to use it.

Sorry, I have no scanner. But you will not miss much. There is no inlay, and the cassette label is simply white with 'Oricopy' written in black.
"

Anyone would have a scan or photo of the original tape? We could make an entry on Oric.org!
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

Nice tap ...
But sorry Symoon, i don't have these pics
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga
Steve M
Squad Leader

Post by Steve M »

Just noticed this thread - a bit late to reply , but have a look here.
http://www.48katmos.freeuk.com/pase.htm
Symoon
Archivist

Post by Symoon »

That's exactly the mysterious program, thanks Steve !
And thank to all for this solved mystery ;)