Very Interesting technique: Statically recompiling NES games

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

ibisum
Wing Commander

Very Interesting technique: Statically recompiling NES games

Post by ibisum »

.. with LLVM:

http://andrewkelley.me/post/jamulator.html

I imagine that, once one got through this exceptionally great tutorial, one could apply the technique to the Oric.

Wouldn't that be interesting!! :)

Or, on the other hand, maybe it'd also be interesting to learn to use LLVM to generate Oric binaries.
Godzil
Squad Leader

Re: Very Interesting technique: Statically recompiling NES g

Post by Godzil »

I'm looking at the paper, but statically recompile a NES game can't make a real copy of the games. Some games needs precises timings, and only a really precise emulator can accomplish this.

I'll give my next impression after the end of the paper ^^

Finished reading, that what was I expect, The SMB1 demo showed me the limits of such thing, the title screen is broken (don't think he used a bad dump, even if some exist) and look closely at a few scan lines under the score and coin number, you will see a lot of flicker on 2 or 3 lines, this is due to bad timing between the CPU and PPU, and this is something really difficult to emulate, SMB1 is not the most complicated game, but it has some fun stuff to do.

Anyway, the decompiliing technics are really interesting :)
ibisum
Wing Commander

Re: Very Interesting technique: Statically recompiling NES g

Post by ibisum »

Yeah, I concur with you .. its mostly about the decompiling techniques being used. One thing also, though, is that it gives me a commercially viable, modern reason, to be hacking on Oric code: so I can learn to use LLVM properly! :)