CBM and Cybernoid

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Twilighte
Game master

CBM and Cybernoid

Post by Twilighte »

Ok, i have finally completed a tool for the Oric called CBM.
It is based around the AIC graphic technique used in games such as Stormlord and Impossible Mission.

The construction of most Platform games consists of Characters, Blocks and Maps (hence CBM).
On platforms other than the Oric, up to 256 Characters may be freed for use in games.
However the Oric only permits up to 96 characters in text mode and none in HIRES.

So Characters in HIRES are software driven only.
In CBM they are 6 by 6 pixels and there are 256 available).

Blocks are holders for characters and they also reduce the amount of memory by allowing certain shapes
to be duplicated. Blocks can be from 2 by 2 to 8 by 8 characters and up to 256 of them.

Maps are arenas or screens that hold blocks.

Below is the Files screen, the first screen you will see, showing the current map dimensions, memory usage and files options.

Below are the Block and Character Editor environments (with the Cybernoid project loaded) with the Character editor at the top and Block editor centre.

Next is the converted graphics from Cybernoid. It is much better with AIC to use original graphics but then alot more work.
Converted graphics may then be captured directly as blocks in CBM which may then be used in the map.

Next are some of Cybernoid Level3 screens reconstructed in the map editor in CBM.

The software is currently in beta testing but will be released soon.
Last edited by Twilighte on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chema
Game master

Re: CBM and Cybernoid

Post by Chema »

That seems very promising indeed!

However, I cannot see any of the pics you posted. Maybe a broken link?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

WOW it looks fantastic!
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Looks very good indeed!
Twilighte
Game master

Post by Twilighte »

With the Block capture feature i haven't needed to edit any individual character which has reduced a lot of work.
The block capture facility also scans the existing character set for duplicates so saving more characters and memory.

I can release the following 0.001 version. I've tested it myself, through adhoc testing and also by developing the test example Cybernoid. A spanish friend of mine has also tested it a bit.

Please test it rigurously.
Please note this program will only work on the Oric Atmos with ROM 1.1 and Sedoric Disk.

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/twilig ... cbm001.zip

The manual (incomplete) may be found here...

http://www.defence-force.org/ftp/twilig ... ual001.zip

Please note from within the Character, Block and Map Editor press Ctrl H for key help.
For the Capture utility, cursor keys to navigate, ZX/' to change size, U to change units, Ret to capture and Esc to quit.
Iapetus
Flying Officer

Post by Iapetus »

Awesome graphics.
Twitter: @newIapetus
Ko-fi:iapetusretrostuff
itch.io: Iapetus
Youtube: Iapetus Retro Stuff
Antiriad2097
Flying Officer

Post by Antiriad2097 »

What a great tool to release this year, when there's a little more focus the Oric.

I certainly have a use for it, I've been tinkering with 6x6 graphics and this may well make things much easier for me.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

Amazing! You did it again, Twilighte! :) This is a reason for me to have my Oric rig permanently set up again ..

I think this moves us one step back into being able to use an Oric exclusively to develop code again, onboard-style, right? ;)
coco.oric
Squad Leader

Post by coco.oric »

It's a wonderful tool
Thanks for it.
coco.oric as DidierV, CEO Member
Historic owner of Oric, Apple II, Atari ST, Amiga