OSDK 0.018

Questions, bug reports, features requests, ... about the Oric Software Development Kit. Please indicate clearly in the title the related element (OSDK for generic questions, PictConv, FilePack, XA, Euphoric, etc...) to make it easy to locate messages.

Dbug
Site Admin

OSDK 0.018

Post by Dbug »

Biggest update of the OSDK in years... (unfortunately)

Version 0.018 - January the 15th 2011
- Upgraded Euphoric to the version 1014
- Upgraded MemMap to the version 0.004
- Upgraded XA to the version 2.2.1
- The handling of the stackframe should not be more robust, fixing the random variable corruption that happened in code using many functions calls and local variables.
- The libraries now contains a 32 bit multiplication routine, and a Microsoft compatible random number generator.

You can get this version 0.018 here:
http://osdk.defence-force.org/files/osdk_0_018.zip

Give me feedback please, I need to know if I did not break anything.
Also it would be nice if BASIC programmers could give a try !

I strongly advice you to install it on the side of the version your already use, just change your OSDK variable to point to the new folder, and if anything happens to not work, please signal the issue here, and continue to use your previous version instead.

Now about this version, there are more changes than what is indicated in the change history. Basically I tried to find out all these small tweaks and changes I made, including fixes for Chema, fixes for Barnsey, stuff I did for myself as well, etc... so it may contain more fixes, it may also contain bugs here and there. So if you find out anything weird, try to isolate the part that fails.

Thanks !

Edit - List of bugs found so far:
- XA freezes when using overlays
- tap2cd and oldmfm are not 64bit compatible
Last edited by Dbug on Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

Is there anything in particular about Oricutron that makes it difficult to integrate into OSDK?
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

Last time I tried there was a problem with some paths, can't remember if it was a problem with using relative paths.

I'm definitely going to try to get the OSDK to work with both Euphoric and Oricutron, but I wanted to get this version released first, make sure it's not hopelessly broken, integrate eventual changes made by other persons on their own versions, and then add support for other emulators.
Xeron
Emulation expert

Post by Xeron »

ok no problem. Just wondered if there was something I could do to aid the process.
ibisum
Wing Commander

Post by ibisum »

I am not a Windows guy, so I don't really know what to do with this, but does anyone know if it works smoothly with WINE and so on? I guess I'll set it up and report ..
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Hi Dbug.

I am experiencing a bit of trouble here. It seems that my 64bit OS doesn't like tap2cd and oldmfm.

(I have the same problem with the 0.017 version, though).

In addition, when compiling the overlay data in Space:1999 and 1337, the new version of XA hangs at the end of the process. And this is a new problem that I didn't have with 0.017.

In 1337 for instance, folder oobj3d, there is a createtap.bat file that performs:

Code: Select all

%OSDK%\bin\xa overlay.s -o overlay.out
%OSDK%\bin\header -a0 overlay.out overlay.tap $500
%OSDK%\bin\taptap ren overlay.tap "DATA" 0
pause
xa fails there.

EDIT: It build skool daze perfectly, though, which does not use overlay data, so maybe I am doing something wrong in the above bat file?

Cheers.
Dbug
Site Admin

Post by Dbug »

I guess for tap2cd and oldmfm it's because it's the original versions I got from Fabrice's site a long time ago. Possibly there are new versions that works (I could update the osdk with these), or I could build new versions myself using the sources. (I added that as list of found issues on the top post).

For XA, I never used overlays, do you think you could make me a mini test case showing how overlays are used?
Chema
Game master

Post by Chema »

Dbug wrote:I guess for tap2cd and oldmfm it's because it's the original versions I got from Fabrice's site
Sure. Probably a simple rebuild would do.
For XA, I never used overlays, do you think you could make me a mini test case showing how overlays are used?
XA simply fails with the typical error (message box saying the application stopped working or something similar). I think the minimal test case would be as I said above.

Take the overlay.s from 1337 sources and issue %OSDK%\bin\xa overlay.s -o overlay.out

As there is no further error message I think it is a good start.

Cheers.